Portuguese rice. Simple, easy and ready in just under 15 minutes – this delicious rice recipe is perfect for quick weeknight meals. The hint of spice from the chilies gives a unique touch and flavor to this classic rice.
The fact is I am really into quick and easy recipes these days. And I’m totally excited to share this super easy and delicious recipe with you today. I cook with rice very often, and I’m always thinking about new ways to enjoy this humble ingredient.
So say hello to this mildly spiced Portuguese rice recipe.
It’s basically a very classic Portuguese style recipe, and I love the idea of infusing rice with so many spices to make it super flavorful and pretty. In short, this recipe is all about getting a little creative with humble rice to make it look beautiful as well as taste very delicious.
The traditional Portuguese rice is very spicy, but feel free to add more or less chilies depending on your taste. In this recipe, the heat comes from dried red chili flakes. However, you can also add a few birdseye chilies to make it more authentic.
The recipe starts with a quick stir-fry of onions, bell peppers (capsicum), and crushed garlic in hot oil. You’ll also need to add in few spices like ground turmeric, ground cumin, and smoked paprika. Give it a quick stir, and stir-fry rice in this mixture for a few minutes.
Now it’s time to cook this Portuguese rice. Cover with plenty of water, season with a chicken cube (or veg cube if you’re vegetarian), and squeeze in lemon juice. When rice is nearly done, add in green peas, and let it cook along with the rice.
Finally, garnish with plenty of coriander (cilantro) or parsley leaves for that final touch. I served this rice with a side of an extra special dish I’ll be sharing with you in my next post. So stay tuned. Meanwhile, serve this beautiful yellow rice with your favorite curry.
This Portuguese rice is seriously so good, you must make it for dinner tonight.
Watch recipe video below:
- 1 tbsp oil (olive oil preferred)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (capsicum), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp ground turmeric (turmeric powder)
- ¼ tsp ground cumin (cumin powder)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried chili flakes or 4-5 birdseye chilies, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups rice, rinsed (long grain rice or basmati rice)
- 1 chicken stock cube (or veg stock cube), crushed
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup green peas (frozen or cooked)
- Coriander (cilantro) leaves or parsley leaves, chopped
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until tender. Add ground turmeric, ground cumin, smoked paprika and chili flakes. Stir to combine.
- Add rice. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add stock cube, water and lemon juice. Season with salt. Stir gently. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, and cook, covered, for 3-4 minutes or until rice is nearly done.
- Add green peas. Cook, covered, until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Garnish with chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves or parsley.
Like this Portuguese rice recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube. Don’t forget to check out:
- Indonesian Fried Rice
- Veg Fried Rice
- Lemon Rice
- Egg Fried Rice
- Ginger Capsicum Fried Rice
- Chicken Fried Rice
- Saffron Rice
- Pineapple Fried Rice