Indian chicken fried rice. The name says it all.This fried rice is an Indianized version of its ever popular Chinese counterpart. And it’s loaded with plenty of chicken and veggies.
To be very honest, I’ve a fascination towards flavored rice.First of all, they are easy to whip up even on the super hectic days. Again, they are healthy, and you can customize them anyway you want.
So this time I’m going to introduce you to another family favorite and obviously a regular in my household – Indo Chinese chicken fried rice. What better way to add some extra awesomeness to regular rice than to turn it into fried rice?
Over the years, I’ve tried and tested so many fried rice recipes. Clearly, this chicken fried rice is the answer to all my efforts to cook the perfect fried rice, just like the one I enjoy in my favorite restaurant.
As I said, this fried rice is super easy to whip up and perfect for lunch box or quick dinner. I like to use chilled leftover rice in this recipe. But if there are no leftovers, you could cook some rice separately and add it to the rice.
For the chicken, you have two options. You can either cut chicken into thin strips and then stir fry, or cook it separately. I recommend the second option as it keeps the chicken moist and soft.
Soy sauce is a major element in this recipe which gives it a lovely flavor. As it contains a good amount of salt, be sure not to add too much of it while seasoning the other elements of this dish.
Lastly, remember to add plenty of veggies to the rice. A simple way to deliver super healthy meal for your family.
1. The rice should be ready before you start making the fried rice. Leftover chilled rice is ideal in this recipe. If you do not have any leftovers, cook 2 cups rice according to packet directions. To make rice, place 2 cups rice with 3-4 cups water in a large pan. Boil. Reduce heat to medium. Rice needs to slightly under cooked. But remember not to over cook it, otherwise the fried rice will be a disaster. When done, leave it cool.
2. Next up, cook chicken. To get that authentic restaurant taste, you should poach the chicken. This means, cook chicken in water. To do this, place chicken in a large saucepan along with enough water. Add enough salt and pepper. Simmer until chicken is cooked through. When done, remove from heat. Drain. Leave it to cool. Shred the chicken and set aside.
3. Now you can start making the Indian chicken fried rice. Place eggs in a small bowl along with enough salt and pepper. Whisk lightly. Set aside. Place a heavy bottomed pan over high heat. Heat oil. Add onions and garlic. Stir fry until onions become soft. Do not brown the onions.
4. Add the vegetables. I used green beans, carrots and green bell peppers (capsicum). Add enough salt and pepper. Stir fry until the veggies become tender. They need to remain crunchy, so do not overcook.
5. Make a well in the center of the veggies. Pour in egg mixture.
6. When it starts to set, stir fry and make scrambled eggs.
7. Add chicken.
8. Add rice. Stir fry for a minute or two. Add soy sauce, green chili sauce and tomato sauce. Mix well. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add more salt if needed. Garnish with spring onions.
More Fried Rice Recipes:
- Egg Fried Rice
- Veg Fried Rice
- Indonesian Fried Rice (Nasi Goreng)
- Pineapple Fried Rice
- Ginger Capsicum Fried Rice
- Easy Kale Rice
Looking for a side dish for this chicken fried rice? Then check out:
- Baked Chicken 65
- Chilli Chicken
- Dragon Chicken
- Gobi 65
- Gobi Manchurian
- Butter Chicken – Restaurant Style
- Paneer Butter Masala