Puli inji (sweet and sour ginger pickle). Featuring an amazing combo of ginger, jaggery and tamarind along with aromatic spices, this pickle is the perfect way to enjoy the flavors of ginger. Without a doubt, it’s a tasty addition to your meal.
So you are already familiar with the aromatic ginger that plays a key role in Asian style cooking. A small teaspoon of ginger never fails to level up the deliciousness of your favorite dish. For today’s recipe, how about an amazing pickle starring this flavorful rhizome?
I totally love the unique combo of flavors making this ginger pickle, also called puli inji (puli = tamarind, inji = ginger), extra tasty. The tangy, spicy, sweet combo of ginger perfectly blends with the sweetness from jaggery and tanginess of tamarind. And of course, the aromatic spices that add the extra touch.
Ok, first, ginger. Sauté ginger until it starts to change color. Make sure you chop ginger very finely and evenly. Fry the finely chopped green chilies along with ginger.
Now, the tanginess of this puli inji (ginger pickle). Tamarind pulp cooked with ground turmeric and red chili powder. Fresh tamarind has a raw smell, and you’ll need to cook it until the smell disappears. This will take about 15 minutes.
As I mentioned, the sweetness of this pickle comes from jaggery and asafetida. Let the jaggery dissolve and cook for further 5 minutes until you get a dark and rich texture. The tempered spices, obviously, add extra touch of aromatic spices to inji puli. You can store this in the refrigerator for about a week.
This ginger pickle is a quintessential part of feast (sadya) made to celebrate the harvest festival of Kerala (Onam).
More pickle recipes:
- Celery Pickle
- Green Apple Pickle
- Raw Mango Pickle |Kadumanga Achar
- Kerala Lemon Pickle/ Naranga Achar
- Kerala Fish Pickle
More Onam Sadya (Feast) Recipes:
- Sambar | Lentil and Mixed Veggies Curry
- Kalan | Raw bananas &Yam in Tangy Yogurt Sauce
- Olan | Ash Gourd in Coconut Milk
- Ulli Theeyal | Shallots In Coconut Sauce
- Pineapple Pachadi | Pineapple in Spiced Yogurt Sauce
- Beetroot Pachadi | Beetroot in Coconut Yogurt Sauce
- Payasam / Pudding Recipes: Parippu Payasam | Moong Dal Pudding, Semiya Payasam (Kheer) | Vermicelli Pudding, Paal Payasam |South Indian Rice Pudding, Ada Pradhaman | Rice and Jaggery Pudding, Aval Payasam | Rice Flakes Pudding