Jaggery popcorn. Quick, easy and seriously tasty popcorns coated in rich and sweet jaggery syrup. These are beautifully made to make your movie time or even snack time extra special.
Popcorn – the world favorite movie snack. Can you ever imagine watching movies without munching on popcorns? I guess no. Well, who could resist the pleasant aroma of freshly popped popcorns?
Whether it’s the simple butter popcorn or the sweet caramel popcorn, they have been always one of my favorite snacks. I know, there are umpteen ways to add more flavor to this iconic movie snack. But today, I’ll introduce you to a super sweet way to enjoy them.
Jaggery popcorn. Yes, the name says it all. Inspired by caramel popcorn, this unique idea is all about popcorns covered in rich, dark jaggery syrup. Believe it or not, jaggery is a much healthier alternative to white sugar.
To make jaggery syrup, you just need to melt jaggery in a little water over low flame. Some brands of jaggery may contain impurities, so pass it through a sieve to get rid of them.
For this jaggery popcorn recipe, you’ll need jaggery syrup with a thicker consistency, so simmer it over low flame until you get the right consistency. The thick jaggery syrup resembles caramel sauce. However, the color of syrup may vary depending on the color of jaggery.
Talking about popcorns, both homemade popcorns and store bought unflavored popcorns are perfect in this recipe. Again, make sure jaggery syrup has cooled down slightly before you add it to the popcorn. Otherwise, popcorns will lose their crispness and turn soft. Arrange jaggery popcorns on a baking tray, and let it cool down completely.
And finally munch on!
Watch jaggery popcorn recipe video below:
- 2 cups jaggery
- 1½ cups water
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- Place jaggery and water in a saucepan over low heat. Melt jaggery. Stir occasionally. Remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly. Pass the syrup through a sieve. Return jaggery syrup to the stove over low heat. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes or until the syrup becomes thick. Remove from heat. Allow to cool slightly.
- Pour jaggery over popcorns. Toss to coat. Spread jaggery popcorn on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Allow to cool.
Love this jaggery popcorn recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube. Don’t forget to check out:
- Strawberry Puff Pastry Flowers
- 10 Minute Oven Baked Pancakes
- Green Chutney Sandwich
- Caramel Apple Roses
- Homemade French Fries
- Cheesy Garlic Pull Apart Bread
- Cinnamon Palmier Cookies