Gajar halwa (Carrot pudding). Carrots are infused with the sweetness of honey for a healthy twist on the classic pudding without compromising on the deliciousness factor. Top with a scoop of ice cream to celebrate summer, or serve it warm to escape the chill in winter.
What’s the first step in creating a healthier eating plan? In my opinion, cut down on refined sugar. But does that mean avoiding your favorite desserts? Absolutely not. All you need to do is replacing refined sugar with healthier alternatives like honey and molasses.
So, if you love desserts, but want to avoid sugar, this healthy gajar halwa recipe is just for you. In this recipe, the classic Indian carrot pudding called gajar halwa or gajrela gets a healthy twist with a little help from the sweet honey.
What makes this healthy gajar halwa so tasty?
Of course, the best ingredients. Grated carrots are first cooked in ghee and then in milk to create the unique melt-in-your-mouth texture. Again, make sure you grate the carrots to create the soft texture. Chopped carrots are equally delicious but may require a longer cooking time.
Ghee or clarified butter is totally good for you if used in moderation. Unlike butter, it’s not loaded with saturated fat. However, if you’re not a fan of ghee, substitute with vegetable oil. However, good quality ghee gives this halwa an additional depth of flavor and taste.
Once the carrots are cooked, pour in milk. Now, allow the carrots to cook in milk imparting richness to the pudding. The water in milk eventually evaporates leaving beautiful halwa with thick consistency.
Next up, the additional flavorings for this healthy gajar halwa. First, ground cardamom. I really love the aroma of fresh cardamom in desserts. In one word, “heavenly”. Second, honey. It gives that extra sweetness to this dessert minus the bad calories.
And there you go. Amazing ingredients combined together to create a heavenly dessert. Seriously good!
More classic dessert recipes:
- Mysore Pak | Chickpea Fudge
- 2 Ingredient Gulab Jamun | Rava Gulab Jamun
- Instant Jalebi
- Moong Dal Ladoo
- Boondi Ladoo
- Coconut Ladoo with Condensed Milk
- Easy Layered Coconut Burfi Recipe
Watch healthy gajar halwa recipe video below:
- 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 4 cups grated carrots
- 4 cups low fat milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (cardamom powder)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, to garnish
- Low fat, less sugar ice cream, to serve (optional)
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add carrots. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until soft and tender.
- Pour milk. Stir to combine. Bring to boil. Simmer for about 20-30 minutes or until the mixture turns thick. Add ground cardamom. Stir to combine. Heat through.
- Stir in honey. Simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish with nuts. Serve with ice cream if you like.
Like this healthy gajar halwa recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube.