Egg bhurji (Indian scrambled eggs) – Give your favorite scrambled eggs an Indian makeover with this spiced version. Perfect way to bring that extra flavor to everyday mealtimes!
Watch recipe video below:
I love cooking and enjoying very elaborate meals on the weekends. But come weekdays, I always need recipes that are simple yet delicious to fit into my daily hectic schedule. At the same time, I’ll be thinking about foods that are different and exciting just to ward off boredom from eating the same kind of food every day. And this is the one and only reason for overstocking my pantry and refrigerator with simple healthy ingredients like legumes, canned fish, eggs etc.
In fact, eggs are one of the most nutritious food on the planet. No matter how you cook them, they are super delicious too.
Basically, this egg bhurji doesn’t even need an introduction. I know, you are very familiar with fluffy scrambled eggs that pairs really well with your favorite toast. So, in this recipe, the simple scrambled eggs gets an Indian style makeover with the addition of few traditional spices. Sounds yum, right? The best part? We’re going to recreate a very popular Mumbai style Indian street food with the help of a secret ingredient.
Here’s the recipe for this amazingly delicious egg bhurji. Let’s start off by spluttering cumin seeds in hot oil. Sauté onions until they’re soft and translucent. Fry green chilies and ginger. We’ll also add some tomatoes that needs to be sautéed until they turn mushy.
For the spices, I added turmeric powder, red chili powder and pav bhaji masala. If you’re not familiar with pav bhaji masala, it’s a unique blend of aromatic spices and is commonly used in very popular Indian street foods like pav bhaji and tomato rice. It pairs really well with the scrambled eggs to create a totally irresistible dish. It’s so good! A sprinkle of coriander (cilantro) leaves add that extra punch of flavor.
Serve this egg bhurji for breakfast or as a side dish.
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1” ginger, finely chopped (or 1 tbsp minced ginger)
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground turmeric (turmeric powder)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- 5 eggs, lightly whisked
- ¼ cup chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Splutter cumin seeds. Add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until the onions soften. Add green chilies and ginger. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for a minute or until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until tomatoes break down and turn mushy. Add ground turmeric, red chili powder and pav bhaji masala. Sauté for a minute.
- Add eggs. Season with salt. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through. Sprinkle with coriander (cilantro) leaves. Stir to combine.
- If pav bhaji masala is not easily available, sub with garam masala
Like this egg bhurji recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube. Don’t forget to check out: