One pot Indian chicken and rice – Fresh lemon, aromatic spices and succulent chicken are just a few ingredients that’ll make this Indian style one pot meal truly spectacular. It’s hearty, delicious, and definitely a crowd pleaser.
How do you describe one pot meal? Easy, simple, quick, minimal prep, and obviously made in one pot. On one side it’s a huge time saver, while on the other side it’s packed with maximum flavor. Clearly, the entire focus is on whipping up maximum flavor in one pot.
At the end of the day, all you want is to be showered with praise and rave reviews about your wonder meal at the dinner table, right? And that’s why one pot meals are a world favorite.
So say hello to my new favorite one pot meal- Indian chicken and rice. The recipe starts with marinating chicken fillets with lemon juice, garlic, ginger, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala and soy sauce. Boneless chicken fillets are the best choice for this Indian style chicken as they cook really quick. Again, I chose thigh fillets as they are more juicier and flavorful.
Once the chicken pieces are marinated, brown them in ghee. You don’t need to cook them completely at this stage. Next up, let’s make our Indian chicken and rice dish . To the same pot you cooked chicken, add rice, chicken stock, lemon juice, coriander (cilantro) and mint leaves. Place the half cooked chicken pieces on top. And let the magic happen. While cooking, the rice will absorb all the flavors of chicken to bring you a dish that’s unbelievably delicious. Top with lots of coriander (cilantro) leaves, lemon wedges, and dig in.
Ok, so now you know that this Indian chicken and rice is the perfect definition of a one pot meal. Isn’t that the fabulous way to cook dinner on a super busy day?
Made in one pot, but big on taste.
- 4 chicken thigh fillets (around 600gm)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic (garlic paste)
- 1 tsp minced ginger (ginger paste)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric (turmeric powder)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 2 tbsp ghee (or oil) (I used 1 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp oil)
- 2 cups rice ( I used basmati rice), rinsed
- 4 cups chicken stock (or chicken broth)
- Juice from 1 large lemon
- ¼ cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- Salt to taste
- Coriander (cilantro) leaves or mint leaves, to garnish
- Lemon wedges, to garnish
- Pomegranate arils, to garnish (optional)
- Marinate chicken with lemon juice, garlic, ginger, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan over medium- high heat. Add chicken, and turn occasionally to brown all the sides of the chicken. At this stage, chicken only needs to be 75 percent cooked. Transfer to a plate.
- To the same pan, add rice, chicken stock, lemon juice, coriander (cilantro) leaves and mint leaves. Stir. Place chicken on top in one layer. Increase the heat to high, and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid, and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid absorbed.
- Garnish with more coriander (cilantro) leaves and lemon wedges.
Like this one pot Indian chicken and rice recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram and YouTube. Also check out: