Easy Indian seafood curry. Loaded with flavorful seafood, this curry is a no-brainer. Cooked in a delicious curry sauce, it’s perfect for an easy midweek meal.
Today’s recipe is all about a super quick and easy side dish totally perfect for any day of the week. It’s so flavorful that it makes for the ultimate entertaining idea too. If you’re a huge seafood fan, this recipe is obviously a must-try. It’s so good.
The super flavorful curry paste forms the base of this easy Indian seafood curry. The idea behind this curry paste is very basic but it makes the curry taste out-of-this-world. And when combined with the unique flavors of fish and prawns, it creates an incredibly scrumptious curry.
To make the curry paste base of this seafood curry, grind together green chilies, tomato paste, garlic paste, ginger paste, cumin seeds, coriander powder, red chili powder, a handful of coriander (cilantro) leaves and grated coconut. I love the addition of coconut as it adds a level of richness to the curry sauce.
Once the curry paste is ready, you can start making this Indian seafood curry. First, fry onions in hot oil until they’re soft and translucent. Stir fry curry paste for a minute, and then fry tomatoes until they turn mushy.
Then add in the fish pieces followed by prawns. I actually made a simple version of this curry with fish and prawns. You can make this curry really special, especially when you’re entertaining, with the addition of mussels. I seasoned it with a pinch of salt, a handful of coriander (cilantro) leaves and juice of 1 lemon. I totally love the level of acidity that the lemon juice add to the curry.
This Indian seafood curry is all about the right balance of flavors. And it’s lip-smacking when served alongside steamed rice or parathas.
Watch recipe video below:
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tbsp tomato paste (tomato purée)
- 2 tsp minced garlic (garlic paste)
- 2 tsp minced ginger (ginger paste)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander (coriander powder)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ¼ cup chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 500 g firm white fish, cut into cubes
- 400 g shrimp or prawns, peeled, deveined and tails intact
- A handful of coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Place coconut, green chilies, tomato paste, garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, ground coriander, red chili powder and coriander (cilantro) leaves in the bowl of a food processor. Process to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, and sauté, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add curry paste, and sauté, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add tomatoes. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until tomatoes break down and turn mushy. Add water to cover the tomatoes. Season with salt. Add fish. Bring to the boil. Cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- Add prawns. Cook, uncovered, for another 5 minutes. Add coriander (cilantro) leaves and lemon juice. Stir gently to combine. Heat through.
- Garnish with more coriander (cilantro) leaves if you like.
Like this easy Indian seafood curry recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube. Don’t forget to check out:
- Brazilian Fish Stew
- Fish Moilee (Kerala Fish Stew)
- Goan Fish Curry
- Malabar Fish Roast
- Fish in Roasted Coconut Sauce (Varutharacha meen curry)
- Kerala Fish Curry
- Prawn Mango Curry (Chemmeen Manga Curry)