Chicken yakisoba noodles. A Japanese street food favorite, this recipe features classic noodles stir-fried in a lip-smacking sauce. Perfect for weeknight dinners that call for quick and easy recipe ideas.
When it comes to cooking, I love to play around with flavors. And it’s no secret that I love to make delicious noodles for a quick and easy dinner. Obviously, I’m always looking for new ideas and recipes to create super delicious meals with noodles.
So, when I came across this Japanese stir fried noodles or yakisoba noodles idea, I knew I had to do it. I love the fact that these classic noodles are super easy to make just like my favorite pad thai and honey soy noodles.
The classic yakisoba noodles forms the base of this recipe. Unfortunately, the authentic version of fresh yakisoba is not easily available here. So I decided to go with Japanese soba noodles that are quite similar to yakisoba noodles. Made with a combination of regular flour and buckwheat flour, these noodles have a very unique taste and texture.
Let’s start the recipe with noodles. All you need to do is cook soba noodles according to packet instructions. Easy!
Yakisoba stir fry sauce is available in some Asian grocery stores. But for this chicken yakisoba noodles recipe, we’ll make the sauce from scratch. Just a simple combo of worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce and tomato ketchup. I totally love the lip-smacking line up of flavors in this sauce.
While pork, cabbage, carrots and onions are the key elements in classic yakisoba noodles, I decided to sub pork with chicken and create chicken yakisoba noodles.
To keep these noodles highly nutritious, I have used plenty of veggies in this recipe including carrots, cabbage, spring onions (scallions) and onions. Broccoli, babycorns and mushrooms will also taste great in these noodles.
Finally, a generous sprinkle of chopped spring onions (scallions) completes the picture.
Bonus? These Japanese street style noodles will be ready in just under 30 minutes. It’s, in fact, a super simple weeknight meal.
Watch recipe video below:
- 4 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce (ketchup)
- A pinch of white sugar
- 180 g soba noodles (or Japanese yakisoba noodles)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 700 g boneless chicken, cut into strips (I used chicken breast fillet)
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup sliced onions
- ½ cup scallions (or spring onions)
- Chopped spring onions (or scallions), to garnish
- Combine together worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, oyster sauce, tomato sauce and a pinch of sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Add chicken. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken from pan. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the pan over high heat. Add carrots, cabbage, onions and scallions (spring onions). Stir fry for 2 minutes or until tender. Add fried chicken, cooked noodles and stir fry sauce. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions (scallions).
Like this chicken yakisoba noodles recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube.