Chicken spring roll. Perfectly delicious chicken and veggie mixture encased in golden spring roll wrappers. Make these crispy goodies to kick start your next party or pair with afternoon tea to brighten up your evenings.
After two weeks of super hectic schedule, indulging in these crispy spring rolls seem to be the perfect way to relax and enjoy the weekend. Moreover, I just can’t say no to deep fried treats in winter. In fact, these crispy rolls stuffed with minced chicken and veggies are totally irresistible.
I like to use minced chicken to make chicken spring roll. If you’re not a fan of minced chicken, feel free to use boneless chicken cut into small pieces. After a quick stir- fry, remove it from pan, and stir-fry the veggies.
Talking about the vegetables that goes into this recipe, I prefer cabbage, carrots, bell pepper and spring onions. Even though these are the classic vegetables used in chicken spring roll recipe, you can also add your favorites or whatever veggies you have on hand.
Once the vegetables are soft, stir in cooked minced chicken. A splash of soy sauce adds a kick of flavor to these spring rolls.
For the wrappers, you have two options – homemade and store-bought. I prefer the latter version as readymade spring roll wrappers are super thin and turn crispy when fried. Next up, place filling in the wrappers and roll them up. Rolled wrappers are then deep fried until golden perfection.
Dip crispy chicken spring rolls in your favorite sauce or chutney and enjoy. I love them with date tamarind chutney, but red chili garlic chutney is a great choice if you want to add a little heat to these spring rolls. But, if you don’t have the time to make chutney from scratch, simple tomato ketchup or sweet chili sauce makes for an awesome dip.
These spring rolls are just perfect as an appetizer or snack. Crispy, crunchy and delicious!
Watch recipe video below:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 500 g minced chicken (ground chicken)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½” fresh ginger, crushed
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- ½ cup julienned bell pepper (capsicum)
- 1 cup sliced scallions (spring onions)
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp water
- 20 frozen spring roll wrappers, thawed
- Oil for deep frying
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium- high heat. Heat 1 tbsp oil and add chicken. Stir in 1 tbsp soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes or until chicken is browned. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan. Add garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add cabbage, carrot, bell pepper, and spring onions. Stir- fry for 2 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Add cooked chicken back to the pan. Add 1 tbsp soy sauce. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine together cornflour and water to make smooth paste. Set aside.
- Lay one spring roll wrapper on a flat surface with a corner pointing towards you. Spoon two tablespoons of chicken mixture near the corner facing towards you. Roll the wrapper once, and brush the sides with cornflour paste. Bring the opposite corners on the sides together, and roll the wrapper towards the middle. Brush the top corner with cornflour paste. Roll the wrapper up tightly towards the top corner. Seal the edge. Repeat with the remaining spring roll wrappers and chicken mixture.
- Meanwhile heat oil for deep frying in a large pan. Carefully transfer spring rolls into hot oil, and deep fry in small batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper towel.
- Serve with your favorite dip or chutney.
- Add a tsp of green chili sauce to make them spicy
Like this chicken spring roll recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube. Don’t forget to check out: