Spicy shredded chicken – Juicy and tender chicken is stir fried with flavorful spices to create the ultimate side dish. Without a doubt, this spicy version of shredded chicken is designed to impress.
Watch recipe video below:
It’s June already, and we’re halfway through the year. I just can’t believe that in 6 months time, we’ll be bidding farewell to 2018. Oh gosh, time is just flying by, and I think I’m too busy ticking off the tasks on my to-do list.
On one side, I’m happy to be a busy bee, but on the other hand, I also love the idea of slowing down and living in the moment. So, let’s make this spicy shredded chicken and enjoy it for dinner.
Speaking of shredded chicken, you might be very familiar with umpteen variations of this super easy recipe. Let me introduce to the authentic Indian version of this much loved dish. And that means, lots of classic spices and herbs getting ready to spice up the chicken.
Ok, first things first. We’ll cook the chicken separately and add it to the spice mixture. Chicken pieces are cooked with a little ground turmeric and salt. Even though I prefer boneless chicken in this recipe, feel free to use chicken with bone. The only difference is that the latter variety need more cooking time. Again, you can cook chicken either over stovetop or in a pressure cooker. Either way, chicken will remain moist and tender.
Shred the cooked chicken into long strands, and this goes into the stir fried spices. To make the stir fry, quickly sauté some sliced onions along with fresh ginger garlic paste and green chilies. We’ll also add a few authentic powdered spices like ground turmeric, coriander powder and garam masala. If you want to make this spicy, add more green chilies and red chili powder. Customize the flavors the way you like them and have fun. And that’s the real secret of creating good food in the kitchen.
Finish off the cooking process with a good sprinkle of coriander (cilantro) leaves.
I like to serve this spicy shredded chicken with parathas or rotis, but it also makes a great combo with simple rice.
- 500 g chicken (boneless or with bone), cut into medium sized pieces (I used chicken breast fillets)
- ½ tsp ground turmeric (turmeric powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1” fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric (turmeric powder)
- 2 tsp ground coriander (coriander powder)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp ground black pepper (black pepper powder)
- ¼ cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Place chicken in a pan. Add turmeric powder. Season with salt. Cover with water. Bring to boil. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan. Set aside to cool slightly. Reserve the liquid. When chicken is cool enough to touch, shred and set aside.
- Alternatively, you can cook chicken in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- To make ginger garlic paste, place ginger ad garlic in a food processor. Process to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- To make spicy shredded chicken, heat oil in a frying pan over high heat. Add onions, green chilies and curry leaves. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until the onions are browned. Add tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until they turn mushy.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala and red chili powder. Season with salt. Sauté, stirring constantly, for a minute. Add shredded chicken. Add a little of the reserved liquid. Stir to combine. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in pepper powder and coriander (cilantro) leaves. Heat through. Garnish with chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves if you like.
Like this spicy shredded chicken? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube. Don’t forget to check out more delicious chicken recipes: