Curd Rice (yogurt rice). Classic South Indian style rice highlighting the cooling effects of naturally nutrient-dense yogurt. Creamy, savory rice and yogurt pudding packed with flavor from the tempered spices. With a side of your favorite pickle, it’s definitely the tastiest way to eat healthy.
How do you define the perfect weeknight dinner? In my opinion, it’s all about simple and easy dishes that don’t skimp on nutrition and flavor. With meticulous planning, they are indeed your gateway to healthy eating.
While we are freezing through cold winter days, I know most of you are basking in the sun enjoying the sheer warmth of summer. So, today, I’m here with the perfect recipe to keep you cool this summer without spending too much time in the kitchen.
I’m talking about this classic South Indian style curd rice or yogurt rice featuring a delicious combo of rice and yogurt highlighted by the addition of tempered spices. It’s super simple, easy-to-make, healthy, and best of all, the coolest way to beat the summer heat.
To make this curd rice, start with cooking the rice. The idea is to overcook rice to create a really smooth texture. And the best way to create the ideal texture is by adding more water. I also added a dash of milk to make this rice rich and delicious.
Once the rice is cooked, mash lightly, and let’s add in few more ingredients to make it super delicious. A little yogurt, cream, and green chilies are added to create the creamy texture.
Finally, a simple tadka or tempering of mustard seeds, black gram, ginger, red chilies and curry leaves for the perfect touch of flavor. Yum! Don’t forget to enjoy it with you favorite pickle. And some chips? Yes please!
Watch curd rice recipe video below:
More healthy rice recipes:
- Cumin Rice | Jeera Rice – Restaurant Style
- Curry Rice | Curried Rice
- Portuguese Rice
- Lemon Rice
- Vegetable Fried Rice – Indian Style
- Quick and Easy Ginger Capsicum Fried Rice
- Ghee Rice (Neychoru)
- 1 cup rice, basmati, long grain or short grain (I used basmati)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 and ½ cups water
- 2 cups yogurt (curd)
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ¼ cup heavy (thickened) cream
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal (skinless black gram)
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 3 dried red chilies
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Pomegranate arils, to garnish (optional)
- Pickle, to serve (optional)
- Potato chips, to serve (optional)
- Rinse rice 3-4 times under cold running water. Soak rice for about 20 minutes. Drain. Place rice with 2 and ½ cups water and milk in a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook until water is absorbed and rice is well cooked. Leave to cool completely.
- Place cooled rice in a bowl. Add yogurt, green chilies and cream. Season with salt. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, ginger, dried red chilies and curry leaves. Sauté, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Strain the tempered spices. Discard oil.
- Add tempered spices into the curd rice. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with pomegranate arils. Serve with pickle and potato chips if you like.
- Do not use leftover rice in this recipe. Freshly cooked rice is a ‘must’
- Garnish with fried cashew nuts if you like
Love this curd rice recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube.