Easy lemon drizzle cake – Moist and delicious, this cake is packed with the tangy flavor from fresh lemons. The sweet syrup adds an extra lemony punch making it all the more delicious and totally irresistible.
Obviously, December is all about celebrations, food, and baking cookies and cakes. Well, I made this cake a while ago but was waiting for the right time, I mean the baking season, to share the recipe with you. And right now, I’m so excited to tell you about one of the amazing cakes I’ve ever made. I totally love the name – easy lemon drizzle cake. Even the name says, “awesome “, right?
Initially, I was planning to make a regular lemon loaf. But for some reason, this idea of drizzle cake popped up in my mind at the very last minute. A lemon cake with extra lemony flavor sounded so good. And I decided to go with it. Believe me, this super moist cake is a game changer.
The recipe for this super easy lemon drizzle cake starts just like a regular no fancy cake. You know, sifting the dry ingredients. And in this case, all purpose (plain) flour and baking powder. Next up, beat eggs and sugar together. Make sure the eggs are at room temperature. And that’s a must. We’re looking for a pale yellow color here. When you add the butter, the mixture will start to get thicker and creamier. Pale yellow fluffy mixture means you are on the right way. Alright, continue beating until you get the right color and texture.
The vigorous beating phase of the batter ends here. From now on, you just need to combine the ingredients. No overbeating at this stage. You’ll need to add milk and lemon rind. Now beat on very low speed just to combine the ingredients. Again, you’ll also need to incorporate the flour mixture into the batter. And your batter for this delicious and easy lemon drizzle cake is ready.
I poured the batter into a loaf tin, and baked for 40-45 minutes. You could also use a 22 cm square or round pan to bake your cake. When the cake comes out of the oven, we are going to pour the lemon syrup on the cake.
So, while the cake is cooking in the oven, we’ll make the lemon syrup. Again, this is such a super simple recipe. You just need to heat icing sugar and lemon juice in a pan, and stir continuously until all the sugar dissolves.
Poke some holes on the top of the cake, and drizzle the syrup all over it. The best part is that the cake will absorb the extra moisture from the syrup making it super moist. Besides this, the easy lemon drizzle cake will also get a sweet and tangy flavor which tastes out of this world.
Now, tell me, is there a better way to welcome the festive season?
- 1½ cups all purpose (plain) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated (caster) sugar
- 125 g butter softened
- 125 ml milk
- 2 lemons finely grated, rind only
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Grease and line a 11cm x 23cm loaf tin. Set aside.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Place eggs and sugar in another bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until the eggs turn pale. Add butter, and beat until thick and creamy. Add milk and lemon rind. Beat until combined. Add flour mixture. Beat again until combined.
- Pour batter into the loaf tin, and bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make the lemon syrup, place lemon juice and icing sugar in a pan over very low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, use a skewer to poke some holes all over the top of the cake. Pour in the lemon syrup. Leave the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Have you tried…..