Easy chicken cacciatore – You just can’t beat this juicy, flavorful chicken dish for a tasty meal. Master this simple recipe to create the perfect meal for your family.
Watch recipe video below:
A few months ago, I was introduced to this easy, delicious and comforting chicken dish with layers of flavor. As usual, the term “easy” grabbed my attention. The whole family loved it, and without a hesitation it quickly secured a spot in our weekly menu too. I always love the idea of cooking and enjoying dishes from around the world. After all, variety is the key to enjoying life to the fullest.
The best part? This easy chicken cacciatore pairs well with pasta, rice, quinoa, couscous, mashed potatoes, crusty bread, cauliflower rice, polenta, rotis. You name it. In fact, the list is endless. Plus, the cooking method is also totally customizable with a choice of stovetop, oven, slow cooker or instant pot cooking. Well, I made this dish on stovetop. But if you want to check out other options, don’t forget to go through the instructions in the “notes” section of the recipe.
Ok, here’s the recipe for easy chicken cacciatore. First, brown chicken marinated with Italian seasoning. I used thigh fillets in this recipe to add more flavor to the dish. When it comes to the herbs used to marinate chicken, I think Italian seasoning that contain all the essential Italian herbs is the way to go. Having said that, feel free to add fresh herbs you have on hand.
Second, remove browned chicken from the pan, and sauté the vegetables (mushrooms + bell peppers + carrots). When they’re are nearly cooked, chicken goes back into the pan along with a little dry red wine. Simmer for couple of minutes, and add in canned tomatoes, black olives, chicken broth, bay leaf, red chili flakes and rosemary.
As I mentioned, this easy chicken cacciatore recipe features layers and layers of flavors in the form of herbs (both dried and fresh), chicken broth, spices, and red wine. Once you add all the ingredients, cover and cook so the flavors combine together to create a beautiful dish brimming with deliciousness.
The recipe is quite simple and easy, and while chicken cacciatore is simmering on the stovetop, prep the main dish or enjoy some quality time with the family.
- 3 tbsp oil
- 500 g boneless chicken, cut into large pieces (I used 4 chicken thigh fillets)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 small bell pepper (capsicum), diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 100 ml dry red wine
- 2 x 400 g canned tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted black (kalamatta) olives
- 150 ml chicken broth (chicken stock)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped parsley or rosemary, to garnish
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frypan over medium heat. Add chicken in a single layer. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté, stirring, for a minute. Add mushrooms, bell peppers (capsicum), and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken back to the pan. Pour in red wine. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, chicken stock, bay leaf, red chili flakes and rosemary. Season with salt.
- Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Garnish with chopped parsley or rosemary. Remove bay leaf and rosemary sprigs before serving.
- To make this in slow cooker, brown chicken and place it in the slow cooker along with all the other ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- To make this in instant pot, follow the recipe instructions. With the instant pot in saute mode, follow the recipe instructions up to step 3. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure and cook for 25 minutes. Release pressure, unlock and remove lid.
-You can use fresh or dried (2tbsp) rosemary in this recipe
- Add chopped pancetta for more flavor.
Like this easy chicken cacciatore recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube.