Masala French toast – With a handful of simple and fresh ingredients, this spicy version of French toast is super easy to make. A dash of spices add an authentic Indian flavor to these breakfast toasts. Turn up the heat with fresh green chilies, or drizzle a little tomato sauce over the top to make these toasts totally irresistible.
We all love a nutritious breakfast to start the day the best way possible. And there’s nothing better than the combination of bread and eggs to brighten up your mornings. If you’re tired of regular French toast ideas, try this spicier version with few veggies and aromatic spices.
Well, this masala French toast brings with it so many surprise ingredients guaranteed to make it an instant favorite with the whole family. Obviously, bread, milk and eggs are the star ingredients in this recipe just like your favorite classic French toast. However, we’re going to break the tradition, and add a spicy touch. In my opinion, this is the best savory French toast I’ve ever eaten.
Dip the bread slices in egg-milk batter, and pan fry with a little butter. Apart from milk and eggs, we are also going to add some red chili powder and black pepper powder to spice it up. The addition of onions, tomatoes, and coriander (cilantro) leaves literally makes the batter more delicious.
I chose to add both butter and oil while pan frying the bread slices. You can sub butter with ghee if you like. Fry bread until perfectly golden on both sides. While frying, scoop up a bit of veggie goodies onto the slices. Done!
Look how easy it is to make this masala French toast! All you need are a few pantry staples. So, are you ready to cook these for your next brekkie?
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper (black pepper powder)
- 2 tbsp grated red onion
- 1 small crushed green chili
- 2 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 bread slices
- Salt to taste
- Crack the eggs into a wide bowl. Whisk lightly. Add milk, and whisk again. Add red chili powder, black pepper powder, red onion, green chili, and tomatoes. Whisk to combine. Season with salt. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Dip one bread slice in the egg mixture, and place it in the pan. Scoop a little onion and tomato bits from the egg mixture, and place it on the bread slice. When the bottom is brown, flip over to cook the other side. When done, remove from heat.
- Repeat with the rest of the bread slices. Serve warm.
-Full fat milk can be replaced with low fat or skim milk