Chai hot chocolate – To make chilly days warmer, this hot chocolate hits the spot. A winter favorite, this comforting, spiced cup of chocolate drink packs a flavor punch from the aromatic blend of Indian chai spices.
What’s your most favorite way to spend a cold winter afternoon? Well, I’ve quite a few favorites. Relaxing on my couch watching the latest blockbuster, playing silly games with the kids, or sipping on a comforting cup of hot cocoa.
Speaking about hot cocoa, this spiced version of hot chocolate is my new obsession and is guaranteed to warm you inside out. Isn’t it the best way to ride away winter blues?
For me, weekend winter afternoons are generally lazy affairs. All I want to do is hide in my little cozy house – my small world away from the real world. And I spent a lot of time in my kitchen creating new recipes and planning upcoming recipes for the blog. So, this idea about the chai hot chocolate came up on such a cold winter afternoon.
You know, all hot chocolate recipes are super simple. Not to mention this spiced hot chocolate. The basic idea comes from my all-time favorite simple hot chocolate recipe (You can find the recipe here). But, in this case, I’ve added a few more spices to raise it to the next level.
Alright, now to the recipe. You’ll start by incorporating cocoa powder into lukewarm water. Remember you don’t want any lumps here. We are looking for smooth flowing consistency. Depending on how sweet your chocolate is, you can add a few teaspoons of sugar.
Next up, the spices that’ll make this chai hot chocolate super delicious. Crushed cloves, ground cardamom, ground cinnamon and ground ginger. Stir in the all the spices, and bring the mixture to a boil. Now add the core ingredient, milk.
And here comes the best part of this recipe – milk or dark chocolate. Choose your favorite to make this hot chocolate decadent and chocolatey. Finally, top with marshmallows, whipped cream, chocolate syrup. You’re definitely spoilt for choice.
I guess all the talk about this amazing chai hot chocolate have brought warmth to my soul. And that means, I need a cup of this hot cocoa right now.
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp Dutch-processed unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- 2 whole cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp ground cardamom (cardamom powder)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (cinnamon powder)
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 2 cups milk
- 125 g milk / dark chocolate
- Place water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. When water is lukewarm, add cocoa powder little by little, stirring continuously, so no lumps are formed. Add sugar (if using), and stir until dissolved.
- Stir continuously. Add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and ginger. Stir and heat through for about 3 minutes. Bring the mixture to a boil. Pour in milk. Add chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Divide among serving cups.
- Top with cocoa powder, whipped cream, marshmallows, or chocolate syrup.
Like this chai hot chocolate recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Also, check out: