Vattayappam/ Steamed Rice Cake
Traditional steamed cake made with rice and coconut. Perfect low calorie treat!
Author: Nish Kitchen
Recipe type: Snacks
- 1 cup rice, soaked for 6-7 hours
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup cooked rice
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds, roasted & ground
- ¼ tsp cardamom seeds, roasted & ground
- 2 cups water + 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp yeast
- ½ cup sugar + ¼ tsp sugar
- ¼ cup raisins/ sultanas & cashew nuts, to decorate
- Combine yeast, ¼ tsp sugar, and 1 tbsp water, and leave it to ferment for about 10- 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grind rice, coconut, cooked rice, & water together to make a smooth, thick batter. Add in yeast, ½ cup sugar, and ground cardamom and cumin seeds. Mix well. Again, leave the batter in a warm place to ferment for 7 -8 hours.
- When the batter is ready, you can transfer it to an idli or vattayappam mould greased with oil. Decorate with cashews & raisins. Steam it for 15-20 minutes. When cooked, allow it to cool. Then slice and serve.