Thattukada chicken fry – Like street food? Then cook authentic street food style fried chicken right in your home. With the easy to follow, step-by-step recipe, this chicken fry is a cinch to make.
Who doesn’t love street foods? They always seem to come with a tag that says, “mysteriously delicious”. Contrary to the fact that I’m a big fan of street foods, this is the very first time I’m sharing a recipe with you. Currently, as I write about this amazing recipe, I’m drooling thinking about all the wonderful flavors packed in each bite.
If you’ve ever visited Kerala (South Indian state), this is the kind of street food you’ll find there. Deep fried chicken pieces served with parotta (a type of Indian flatbread) and an authentic onion curry (recipe here) very unique to the street food stalls.
In local language, a street food stall is known as a thattukada, and that’s how the chicken got its name.
The special onion curry served with thattukada chicken is coming up on the blog very shortly. (Updated: Get the recipe for onion curry here). So stay tuned. Meanwhile, enjoy these crispy chicken bites!
- 500g chicken fillets, cut into bite sized pieces (I used thigh fillets)
- Few curry leaves
- Oil, for deep frying
- 1 sprig curry leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 ½ - 2 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp rice flour
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Salt to taste
- Combine together all the ingredients for marination – curry leaves, ginger, garlic, ground turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala, red chilly powder, rice flour, lemon juice, and enough salt – in a large bowl. Add water (if needed) to make a smooth paste.
- Use this paste to marinate chicken for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- To make fried thattukada chicken, heat oil in a deep pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot enough, slide in chicken pieces. ( in this recipe, the chicken is deep fried. So make sure you’ve enough oil in the pan). When one side is done, flip over to cook the other side.
- When chicken is nearly done, add curry leaves and fry along with the chicken. Drain on an absorbent towel. Serve warm.
Like this thattukada chicken fry (Fried chicken street food style)? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Also, check out: