Sheer khurma – Sweet, rich and nutty, this easy dessert is made with vermicelli, milk, dates and nuts. Undoubtedly, it features everything you love most about desserts. Serve it warm or cold for a showstopper dessert at your next gathering.
Watch recipe video below:
Love kheer (Indian pudding)? I do. I think it’s the simplest and easiest way to enjoy desserts. So today, we’re going talk about a super easy-to-make dessert.
Sheer khurma or korma is actually a simple combo of dried fruits and nuts cooked in milk. The word “sheer” means milk and “khurma” translates to dates. So, basically this dessert is all about the irresistible combo of dates in milk along with lots of nuts and vermicelli.
Again, this sheer khurma is a variation of vermicelli pudding (semiya payasam or sevaiyan kheer).
Alright, let’s start the cooking part of this recipe. First, we’ll sauté a few nuts and dried fruits in ghee. As I mentioned, this dessert is all about dates and nuts. So you’ll need plenty of these crunchy delicious goodies sautéed in ghee until golden.
Next up, we’ll stir fry vermicelli in ghee. Roasted vermicelli is easily available in Indian grocery stores. Even though the label says “roasted”, I highly recommend you roast them again in ghee. Trust me, it takes the flavors to a whole new level.
Now the final part of the sheer khurma recipe. Boil milk, and cook the roasted vermicelli in milk. You can add in some sugar at this stage. The amount of sugar you’ll need totally depends on your taste. Remember you already have two sweet ingredients in this dessert – dates and raisins.
Once the vermicelli is cooked, stir in the fried nuts, dried fruits, a little cardamom and rose water. Just heat through and done. Now you’ve an amazing dessert perfect for any special occasion. Simple & easy!
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 8 almonds, sliced
- 8 cashew nuts, chopped
- 8 pistachios, sliced
- 9 seedless dates, chopped
- 15 raisins
- ½ tbsp chironji
- ½ cup broken vermicelli
- 1 L milk
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp ground cardamom (cardamom powder)
- 1 tsp rose water
- Chopped almonds, pistachios, cashew nuts, to garnish
- Dried rose petals, to garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a frying pan over low heat. Add almonds, cashew nuts, pistachios, dates, raisins and chironji. Sauté, stirring constantly, for 3-4 mins or until golden. Remove from pan. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp ghee in the same pan over low heat. Add vermicelli. Fry, stirring constantly, for 3-4 minutes or until golden.
- Place milk in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to boil. Simmer 3-4 minutes. Add vermicelli and sugar. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes. Add roasted nuts, dried fruits, cardamom and rose water. Stir to combine. Heat through. Garnish with more chopped nuts and rose petals if you like.
Like this sheer khurma? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube. Don’t forget to check out:
- Vermicelli Pudding (Semiya/Sevaiyan Kheer)
- Pal Payasam (South Indian Rice Pudding)
- Vermicelli Popsicles (Semiya Ice)