Chicken sausage rolls – Take your entertaining game to the next level with this simple, fun and easy appetizer recipe. Crispy puff pastry bites filled with flavored minced chicken is the perfect way to turn any occasion into a celebration.
Are you excited about the holiday season? I am. In fact, I love everything about Christmas – decorating tree, singing Christmas songs, waiting for the big party on Christmas Day. Besides, my birthday falls in December which brings double the joy and happiness. I hate getting older though.
I just have to be honest here. The one special element that makes every Christmas special is food. And there’s no celebration without food. Am I right? So, to make your menu planning for Christmas much easier, I’ve made this super easy appetizer just for you.
Easy, delicious chicken sausage rolls that’s also going to be on my Christmas party menu this year. Doesn’t that sound awesome? Ok, well, let’s just focus on these sausage rolls for now.
Watch chicken sausage rolls recipe video below:
As I mentioned, I wanted this recipe to be as easy as possible, so I decided to go with store bought puff pastry sheets. If you’ve a great recipe for homemade pastry sheets, go for it. If you’ve plenty of time, it’s certainly a great idea. In order to reduce the prepping time, I’m using store bought puff pastry in this chicken sausage rolls recipe. If you’re using ready-rolled pastry sheets like I did, all you need to is thaw them and add your chicken filling. However, some pastry sheets do need to be rolled out before you add the filling.
So, while the sheets were going through the thawing process, I made the chicken filling. Just combine together ground (minced) chicken, fresh breadcrumbs, carrots, garlic, onion and herbs. So easy! This mixture is going to be the filling for these amazingly delicious appetizers.
Once the puff pastry sheets are thawed, we’ll fill them with chicken mixture, give them a coating of egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds (if you like them), and bake until they’re perfectly golden.
I know, holiday cooking and hosting parties can always be stressful. And the best part of this chicken sausage rolls recipe is that you can prepare the pastry well in advance, and freeze until ready to bake. Brilliant! Again, feel free to add more veggies into the chicken mixture like zucchini and green peas. And that’s what I call holiday cooking made healthier.
Super simple yet fancy entertaining idea.
- 500 g ground chicken (chicken mince)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 small onion, coarsely grated
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (see notes)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ¼ cup chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 3 puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F. Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place chicken, carrot, onion, breadcrumbs, garlic and coriander (cilantro) leaves in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix. Set aside.
- Halve puff pastry sheets lengthways. Divide mixture into 6 equal parts. Spoon one part of mixture lengthways along one side of each piece. Fold over to make a roll. Press down lightly to seal. Repeat with the remaining pastry and chicken filling.
- Brush the top of the rolls with whisked egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut each roll into 4 cm long portions using a serrated knife. Place the rolls on the prepared baking trays. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve with tomato sauce or sweet chili sauce.
- If not using ready-rolled pastry, sprinkle the pastry with flour and roll out.
- Uncooked prepared rolls can be stored in the freezer for up to a month.
- Add more veggies like zucchini and green peas to the filling to make these rolls more nutritious.
Like these chicken sausage rolls? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Check out this paneer and mushroom sausage rolls: