Chicken lollipop. These moist and succulent chicken drummettes shaped into lollipops coated in a spicy batter are guaranteed to be a winner at your next gathering. Crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, these are certainly a tasty addition to your appetizer menu.
When it comes to the food at any party or gathering, appetizers or starters play an important role in creating a positive first impression.
So today, we are going to fancy up the good old fried chicken and call it chicken lollipop. It’s a classic, and a pure fun way to make fried chicken more interesting. We are going to prep the drummettes of chicken to resemble lollipops.
I know, you can make very delicious fried chicken without going through the time consuming preparation process. So, if you’re looking for a easier version of this chicken lollipop, skip the preparation part, and make simple fried chicken.
Ok, let’s talk about the long preparation part of this chicken appetizer recipe. I used chicken drummettes in this recipe, however, you can also make them with wings. The drummettes are the part of the wings that are connected to the shoulder of chicken.
To prepare the drummettes, clean the bone on the thinner part and push the meat down to make lollipop shape. Clearly, the whole process is super messy, so I didn’t even think about shooting a preparation video.
Coming to the marination part of this chicken lollipop recipe, coat the drummettes in a mixture of garlic, ginger, ground black pepper, red chili paste and soy sauce. While the chicken pieces are in the refrigerator absorbing all the flavors, we’ll prepare the batter.
The batter is made with a simple combo of all-purpose (plain) flour, cornflour, egg, garlic, ginger, red chili paste, red chili powder and vinegar. The batter needs a medium pouring consistency, thick enough to coat the chicken drummettes.
Well, the final step is all about deep frying them until cooked through. As you can see, I haven’t added any artificial color to this recipe, however, a pinch of red color will make them more vibrant.
Enjoy these savory lollipops with schezwan sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Watch chicken lollipop recipe video below:
More Indian authentic recipes:
- 1 kg chicken drummettes
- 2 tsp minced ginger (ginger paste)
- 2 tsp minced garlic (garlic paste)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 tsp red chili paste (see notes below)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup all purpose (plain) flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- To prepare the drummettes, first separate the meat from the bone on the thinner part and then push the meat down. Scrape the exposed bone to make it as clean as possible.
- Place chicken, half of minced ginger, half of minced garlic, ground black pepper, 2 tsp red chili paste and soy sauce in a bowl. Season with salt. Coat chicken in the marinade. Set aside. Marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator if time permits.
- Place all purpose flour, cornflour, egg, 1 tsp minced ginger, 1 tsp minced garlic, 2 tsp red chili paste, red chili powder and white vinegar. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile heat oil for deep frying. Dip chicken in the batter, one at a time, and place in the oil. Fry until cooked through. Drain on an absorbent towel. Set aside.
- Serve with schezwan sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.
Like this chicken lollipop recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube. Don’t forget to check out:
- Baked Chicken 65
- Chicken Chaat
- Chicken Manchurian
- Indian Ginger Chicken
- Fried Chicken Street Food Style / Thattukada Chicken