Healthy chicken bowl. Looking for a delicious way to eat healthy? You can’t go past this superfood bowl featuring freekeh, spiced chicken and vibrant veggies. Drizzle with creamy dreamy green herb dressing to crank up the deliciousness.
Whenever I think of everyday healthy eating, my mind naturally wanders around recipes focussing on vegetables, nuts, and all things packed with goodness. Today, I decided to go one better and made this supergrain bowl with freekeh.
If you’re not familiar with freekeh, it’s an ancient grain popular in the Middle Eastern countries and is power packed with nutrients. Made from green wheat harvested at an early stage, this low carb, nutrient-dense grain is easy to prepare and delivers you a very satisfying lunch or dinner. The best part? It tastes amazingly delicious. However, feel free to sub with quinoa or your favorite rice.
Apart from freekeh which forms the base element of this delicious and healthy chicken bowl, I’ve also included plenty of veggies, protein rich chicken, and a healthy yogurt dressing to bring in more nutrition to your everyday meal. To be exact, layers and layers of flavors to make your mealtimes exciting as well as nutritious.
Cooking this super grain is a no-brainer. You just need to follow the instructions on the packet, and it only takes about 8-10 minutes. You see, there’s no special technique or equipments involved. Just a boiling pot of water and delicious freekeh. Totally awesome, right?
While freekeh is cooking, you can coat chicken in a simple blend of ground cumin, paprika, ground coriander and oil. Marinate chicken for 30 minutes. But, if you’re time-poor, this step is totally optional. Just bake the chicken for about 20-30 minutes. Slice into tender, juicy and flavorful pieces of chicken when it comes out of the oven.
I decided to load this healthy chicken bowl with more flavor, and believe me, this simple yogurt herb dressing adds a wow factor to the bowl. It pairs perfectly well with the other ingredients making this bowl totally irresistible. A delicious combo of low fat yogurt, coriander (cilantro) leaves, lemon juice and a little ground cumin. I totally love that beautiful green hue of the dressing.
Now all that’s left to do is assemble this chicken bowl. Place freekeh in serving bowl, and layer it with sliced chicken, cherry tomatoes, carrots, olives, roasted cashew nuts (or your favorite nuts) and of course, avocados. Such a pretty bowl of healthy goodness. Dig in!
Watch healthy chicken bowl recipe video below:
- 4 chicken breast (approximately 1 kg)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (cumin powder)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground coriander (coriander powder)
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup yogurt (preferably Greek yogurt)
- 1½ cups chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ tsp ground cumin (cumin powder)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked freekeh (Cracked or wholegrain)
- 4 avocados, pitted and sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- ½ cup olives, sliced
- ½ cup roasted cashew nuts
- Preheat oven to 220C / 425F. Line a baking tray with parchment (baking) paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine together ground cumin, paprika, ground coriander and oil. Season with salt and pepper. Coat chicken in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes if possible.
- Place chicken on the lined tray in a single layer. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until tender and juices run clear. Remove from oven. Set aside.
- Place yogurt, coriander (cilantro) leaves, lemon juice and ground cumin in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Blend. Set aside.
- Divide cooked freekeh among four serving bowls. Top with sliced baked chicken, avocados, carrots, cherry tomatoes, olives and cashew nuts. Drizzle with yogurt herb dressing.
Like this healthy chicken bowl? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube. Don’t forget to check out: