Avocado toast with poached egg – Avocado lovers rejoice! Create cafe-style breakfast at home with this easy delicious recipe. Add loads of flavor with your favorite toppings.
Watch recipe video below:
It seems that people have been eating avocados for centuries in parts of the world where they’re grown in abundance. As you know, a few years ago, these humble avocados became hugely popular across the globe. It started to appear on every cafe menu in its most trendiest version. Avocado toast.
A simple combo of avocados and toast. That’s it! The recipe is so simple, even a little kid could create a masterpiece. Of course, you could dress up your toast with extra flavorful additions like eggs, spices, cheese, herbs, smoked salmon etc.
There are dozens of variations of this simple avocado toast. And I’ll tell you all about my favorite way to create a tasty avocado toast with poached egg. My recipe is pretty simple. Thick slices of sourdough bread topped with avocados, feta, poached egg, and a sprinkle of red chili flakes for a spice kick.
The two most important elements of this avocado toast are sourdough bread and avocados. To add a bit more flavor to the bread, we’ll brush it with a little oil, and lightly toast the bread in a pan. You can even grill the slices until you get a slightly charred appearance.
We’re going to top the bread slices with avocados. Well, you can use them anyway you want. I mean, slice, smash, or even make avocado flowers. For this recipe, I’ve decided to go with the simplest version- sliced avocados. Smashed avocados also make a delicious topping for this toast. Simply smash the avocado, season with salt, and drizzle with lemon juice.
So, that’s the simple avocado toast for you. Now, let’s make it a bit more fancier with a few extra additions. I’m talking about poached egg and feta. Without a doubt, feta makes a great addition to this toast.
I know, poached egg sounds a bit complicated. But trust me, it’s super easy to make. Just break an egg into boiling water, and you’ll be totally amazed at your creation. However, if you’re not a fan of poached egg, try boiled egg or fried egg cooked to your liking.
A sprinkle of red chili flakes completes the picture.
There you go. The perfect healthy brekkie – avocado toast with poached egg – made just for you.
- 4 sourdough bread slices
- 2 ripe avocados
- 100 g feta, crumbled
- 2 poached eggs
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Apply a little oil on both sides of the bread slices. Toast. Alternatively, you can grill the bread slices. Set aside.
- Slice the avocados. Set aside. (You can also use smashed avocados in this recipe. To make smashed avocados, place avocados in a bowl, smash them with a fork, and season with salt. Drizzle with lemon juice)
- To make poached eggs, bring to boil a large pan filled with water. Add white vinegar. Break eggs (one at a time) into the boiling water. Poach eggs 2-3 minutes or until whites are set and yolk still runny. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- To arrange avocado toast, divide the sourdough slices among two serving plates. Top with avocados (sliced or smashed), crumbled feta and poached egg. Sprinkle with red chili flakes. Garnish with mint leaves.
Like this avocado toast with poached egg? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. Watch exclusive recipe videos on YouTube. Don’t forget to check out more avocado recipes: