Indian style tacos with pan roasted cauliflower, potatoes and green peas, and minted apple yogurt on a kale paratha base to be exact.
After I posted the meat version of Indian tacos, I was literally thinking about a vegetarian inspired version. Recently I’ve been obsessed with kale parathas, I made it for a second time this week. That’s when I decided to use them as my taco base.
I used a combination of cauliflower, potatoes and green peas for the topping. You can use any vegetables you like – mushrooms, broccoli, and green beans. Just let your imagination go wild!
There’s another layer of minted yogurt sauce loaded with crunchy grated green apples between the paratha base and veggie topping. The spicy veggies compliments really well with the cool yogurt.
So when you make parathas next time, turn them into easy and delicious tacos.
To make the veggie topping, heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds. Allow to pop.
Add cauliflower, potatoes, ground turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala and red chili powder. Mix well.
Cover with lid. Cook until the vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
Add green peas. Mix well. Stir fry until heated through.
The veggie topping is ready. Set aside.
To make the minted yogurt, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Add enough salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside.
To assemble the parathas, spread a tablespoon of yogurt on the parathas. Top with veggies. Drizzle with more yogurt if you like.
- •4 large kale leaves
- •1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- •½ teaspoon chilly powder
- •A pinch ground turmeric
- •3 cups whole wheat flour (atta)
- •Salt to taste
- 3 teaspoon oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup cubed potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- A pinch of red chili powder
- ¼ cup frozen green peas
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint leaves
- 3 tablespoon greek style yogurt
- ½ cup peeled grated green apple
- Salt and ground black pepper, to season
- Place a fry pan over low heat. Add cumin seeds. Stir fry until browned. Set aside to cool. When cooled, place it in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. Grind to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Cut off the stalks from the kale. Rinse under cold running water.
- Boil water in a large pot. Add kale leaves. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, until leaves are wilted. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- When cooled, place it in a blender and grind to a coarse paste. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine together kale, ground cumin, chilly powder ground turmeric and salt. Set aside.
- Place whole wheat flour and salt in another large bowl. Add enough water and mix the dough. When it’s half done, add kale paste and knead well for another 4-5 minutes. Shape the dough into a big ball. Smear a little oil on top if you want.
- Roll lemon-sized balls out of the dough. Sprinkle some whole wheat flour on top, flatten into a disc, and roll out.
- Meanwhile, heat a small fry pan or tawa over medium-high heat, and cook the parathas one by one. Smear a little oil or ghee on both sides, if you like
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Splutter cumin seeds. Add cauliflower and potatoes. Stir in ground turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala and red chili powder. Add enough salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in green peas. Cook, stirring, for another 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
- For Minted Yogurt:
- In a medium bowl, combine mint leaves, yogurt and green apple. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- To Assemble the Tacos:
- Spread a tablespoon of minted yogurt on the parathas. Top with the spiced veggies. Drizzle with more yogurt if you like. Serve warm.