Roasted red pepper pasta – Need a simple yet nutritious weeknight dinner idea? This vibrant bell pepper pasta is power packed with hidden veggies to create a satisfying meal for your family. It’s totally customizable and great for busy weeknights.
Creamy pasta that screams “comfort food” from every angle. Apart from being a super comfort meal, for me, this pasta is also a quick weeknight meal. I’m in total love with this kind of dishes, so perfect for the chilly weather we’re experiencing right now.
In fact, I’m so excited to bring you a healthier version of creamy pasta with so much veggie goodness. Roasted red pepper pasta. Your favorite pasta in a low fat, creamy, veggie based sauce that’s unbelievably out of this world.
Have you ever tried roasted bell peppers (capsicums) before? Trust me, they taste incredible. Well, I’ve used the canned version of roasted peppers in this recipe to make the cooking process a bit easier. But, if you have fresh peppers (capsicums), you can cook them on the stovetop directly over the flame, or just pop them into the oven for creating the charred flavor. And don’t forget to check out the detailed instructions in the “notes” section of this recipe.
Once you’ve the peppers ready, the rest of this roasted pepper pasta recipe is super simple. Start by cooking your pasta al dente. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
Ok, we’ll do this in two simple steps. In the first part, we are going to make the pepper sauce which also happens to be the most important part of this recipe. Sauté onions, garlic and red chili flakes in a little oil. Let it cool down. Transfer this mixture to a blender along with roasted peppers. Process to a smooth paste. And we have the luscious, colorful sauce for the pasta.
Now the second part of this roasted red pepper pasta recipe. Pour the sauce into a large pan. Add cream and season. Cook the sauce for few minutes. Add more flavor with chopped basil and parmesan. Finally, toss the pasta in the luscious pepper sauce.
You might’ve noticed that I served this pasta with a few slices of toasted sourdough. Ok, well, here’s how I made them. Melt some butter in a pan, and add the bread slices. Cook until both sides are browned. Dunk these buttered slices in the pepper sauce and enjoy.
- 300g pasta of your choice (I used spaghetti)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- A pinch red chili flakes
- 330g roasted red peppers (capsicums), drained
- ¼ cup heavy (thickened) cream
- ¼ cup chopped basil leaves
- ½ cup parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basil leaves and parmesan, to garnish (optional)
- Boil a pot of salted water. Add pasta and cook al dente. Drain. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic cloves and red chili flakes. Sauté for 3-4 minutes or until the onions turn soft and translucent. Remove from heat. Leave it to cool.
- Place onion mixture and roasted red peppers (capsicum) in a blender. Process to make smooth paste. Transfer the paste back to the frying pan.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat. Pour in cream. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes. Add cooked pasta, basil leaves and cheese to the sauce. Toss pasta in the sauce. Heat through. Garnish with more basil and parmesan if you like.
Stovetop method: Place pepper (one at a time) directly over the flame. Turn occasionally until all the sides are charred. Transfer to a bowl, and cover with cling wrap. Rest for 10 minutes. Remove the charred outer skin before placing it in the blender.
Oven method: Preheat oven to 250 C / 400 F. Place the peppers on a baking tray. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Transfer baked peppers to a bowl, and cover with aluminum foil. Rest for 10 minutes. Remove the outer skin.
- Replace basil with fresh or dried parsley if you like
- You can also use spiralized veggies instead of pasta
Like this roasted red pepper pasta recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Also, check out: