Indian Roti or Chapati or Phulka – Wondering how to make delicious and incredibly soft rotis? Well, check out my tips and tricks to create these ultimate wholemeal flatbreads from scratch!
Growing up, rotis had been a staple in my household. Because of their super healthy and highly nutritious nature, these are still an absolute favorite in my home. You might be very familiar with naan as the most famous flatbreads from the Indian subcontinent. But, to be exact, rotis are the most popular flatbread in every Indian home.
Indian roti, also known as chapati or phulka, is unleavened flatbread made with wholemeal flour or atta. I think every household has its own tricks and techniques to make the most delicious and soft rotis. Truth to be told, the secret to making the perfect rotis totally depends on practice. And plenty of trails and errors. However, I’m super excited to share with you my secret tips to perfect roti each and every time.
Ok, one – the flour used to make rotis. As I mentioned, rotis are made with wholemeal flour. Traditionally, this flour is also called atta. And remember, this flour is totally different from the wholemeal flour you can find in your local grocery store. So, if you want to buy the authentic variety of atta, head to your local Indian store. Another important thing that affect the softness of roti is the quality of flour. Not all brands sell the best flour in town. So, experiment with different brands to find the one that best suits your taste.
Two – Texture of the dough. When I was in the learning stage, I tried every trick I could find to make the perfect rotis. And this included adding all purpose (plain) flour, oil or ghee to the wholemeal flour to make the dough soft. But, later, I found out that if you have good quality flour, you don’t need to worry about the outcome.
Third – Use an iron griddle or tawa to cook rotis. During the first stage of cooking, we are going to use a tawa. Then, during the second stage of cooking, roti is placed directly over the flame to allow it to puff up. Seriously, this is the best part of the recipe. I really love watching those rotis puff up. Pure happiness!
So, there you go. All my secrets to make the perfect Indian roti. Now, who’s ready to give this recipe a go? Perfectly healthy and soft rotis just for you to dunk into a bowl of curry!
- 2 cups atta (wholemeal flour)
- Salt to taste
- Water to knead dough
- Place flour in a large bowl. Season with salt. Add water little by little, and knead to form soft dough. Rub a little oil on the dough. Cover with a tight lid or damp tea towel. Set aside for one hour.
- Make a small ball out of the dough. Flatten and dip it in flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out into a thin circle. If the dough sticks to the work surface while rolling out, sprinkle with more flour.
- Heat a tawa over low heat. Place the rolled out dough on top. When you see bubbles on top of the roti, flip it over. Increase heat to medium-high. When you see brown spots on the bottom of the roti, remove it from pan, and place it directly over the flame. When one side puffs up, flip over to cook the other side. Remove from heat. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Store rotis in an airtight container, keep covered with a tea towel.
Like this Indian roti recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Also, check out: