Murgh tikka or chicken tikka – Add a bit of wow-factor to your menu with these spiced chicken skewers. These are marinated twice to make the most tender and juiciest bites of chicken. Ideal as an appetizer or side dish!
There is this restaurant near my home that we visit quite often, whenever we crave Indian food. They serve fabulous food, you’ve to see the rush there. And there’s one dish we order each and every time. It’s this chicken tikka. Chicken marinated in a special masala mix and cooked in a tandoor. Yum. Yum.
My version of chicken tikka is cooked in the oven instead of tandoor. But still it tastes super delicious.
These murgh tikka skewers are “super scrumptious”. I don’t know if there’s a better word to describe how amazing these tikkas are. Definitely a must-try appetizer!
There are a few things that make this chicken tikka totally irresistible.
One – The part of chicken you use. For this chicken tikka recipe, I totally recommend thigh fillets which are actually the juiciest part of chicken. To be exact, thigh fillet is a must in this recipe. Without a doubt, this is the secret to the authentic taste of this dish.
Two – The two-step marination process. It literally turns the chicken into very tender and juicy pieces of deliciousness. After all, that’s what makes a delicious chicken skewer super awesome. First, chicken is marinated in a mixture of lemon juice and salt. After resting it for about 10 minutes, the chicken pieces gets slathered in another mixture of spices made with garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, yogurt and chili powder. Remember, a good chicken tikka needs a two-step marination process, and don’t skip any step.
Three – Grill, don’t bake. And grilling is the best way to get that authentic taste. Well, I think you don’t even need an explanation for that. Imagine perfectly grilled chicken with all the charred marks and vibrant color! Yum!
Right now, I’m super excited about this chicken or murgh tikka recipe. On one side, this is so simple and easy to make. On the other side, this is such a glorious dish that you can even serve for a special occasion.
And lastly, this chicken tikka is an all-rounder in the form of appetizer, side dish and even a snack.
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, cut into cubes
- 3 cm piece fresh ginger
- 1 ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp ground coriander (coriander powder)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of red color (optional)
- Place chicken in a large bowl. Add lemon juice. Mix. Season with salt. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile, place ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, garam masala, ground coriander, red chili powder, red color (if using) and yogurt in a blender, and process to form smooth paste. Add a little water if needed.
- Add the ground mixture into the bowl of chicken. Mix. Cover, and marinate for another 30 minutes or overnight if possible.
- Preheat grill. Thread chicken pieces onto skewers. Grill for 10-15 minutes or until cooked through.