Learn how to make pancakes that are fluffy and perfectly delicious. A very basic pancake recipe that’s easy to follow and quick to make. This is my very favorite recipe for the perfect pancakes each and every time.
It’s always fun to create new recipes and find new twists to old ones. But I also like the classic, tried and tested recipes. I think every successful new dish comes from a traditional fail proof recipe.
Although I prefer savory breakfasts, I love pancakes. So I decided to tell you all about my favorite basic pancake recipe. It’s a super simple recipe that I always use to make absolutely perfect, fluffy pancakes.
This recipe only needs some basic pantry ingredients like flour, eggs, sugar and butter making it so easy for even the novice cook. It’s just all about sifting and mixing the ingredients in one bowl. Yes, you heard it right. Only one bowl. How easy is that?
Flour is one basic ingredient I always have in my pantry. The only upgrade is that these days, I store wholemeal plain flour which is a much healthier version of regular white plain flour. It is not possible to sift wholemeal flour. All the best bits will end up on the sift. So all you need to do is just make sure there aren’t any lumps in the flour.
If you think the batter is too thick, add more milk to get the right consistency. To customize this basic pancake recipe, add blueberries or choc chips to the batter.
- 1 ½ cups plain flour (wholemeal or regular) (I used wholemeal)
- ½ cup granulated (caster) sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 60g melted and cooled butter
- 1 large egg
- 350 ml milk
- Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Add butter, eggs and milk. Mix until the ingredients are well combined. Set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- When batter is ready, heat a tawa or crepe pan or frying pan over medium heat. Melt a little butter. Pour in a ladleful of pancake batter. When one side is lightly browned, flip it over to cook the other side. When golden, transfer to a plate. Repeat the process until all the batter is used up.
- Serve pancakes with extra butter, berries, maple syrup, chocolate sauce, or even better, nutella.
Like this pancake recipe? Check out other easy breakfast ideas: