Tomato coconut chutney – With a pleasant tangy flavor, this chutney combines the deliciousness of tomatoes and coconut with a touch of traditional spices. Perfect as a side dish for your favorite South Indian dosa and idli. And the best way to start the day on a delicious note.
I have a confession. I love traditional food. I mean, the kind of food that make you feel at home. Despite the fact that the world of food is ever-expanding with new trends and fusion recipes, I think there’s nothing better than the classic recipes that act as the backbone of every cuisine.
Well, this tomato coconut chutney is obviously a classic recipe hailing from the southern part of India. Tangy tomatoes are beautifully combined with fresh grated coconut, seasoned with few simple spices, and adorned with tempered mustard and curry leaves. It’s bang on!
Do you know what I love most about this tomato coconut chutney? The fact that this recipe is so simple and can be easily made within a short period of time. Yes, even on weekdays. Again, the spicy, tangy flavor of this chutney is totally irresistible.
To make the cooking process super easy for you, I chose to add canned tomatoes to the chutney. However, if you want to use fresh tomatoes, just remember to cook them along with the onions, and then grind with coconut.
Coming to the texture of this tomato chutney, you’ll need to grind the tomatoes and coconut into a slightly coarse paste. The slight difference in texture actually adds a whole depth of flavor. Seriously yum!
And don’t forget to add the tempered spices. It adds that final glorious touch to this tomato coconut chutney. In order to balance out the tangy flavor of the tomatoes, I also added a little red chili powder. Feel free to add as much as you like.
So, here is a recipe that you can add to your everyday cooking. Super delicious from every angle!
- 1 cup canned tomatoes (for fresh tomatoes see notes)
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 3 tbsp chopped red onions
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric (turmeric powder)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Place tomatoes and coconut in the bowl of a food processor. Allow to cool down slightly. Grind to a coarse paste. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add curry leaves. Add onions, and sauté for 2-3 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Add garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Stir in turmeric and red chili powder. Saute for a minute. Add tomato paste. Season with salt. Pour in a little water if needed. Bring to the boil. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Like this tomato coconut chutney recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Also, check out: