Malabar Chicken Biryani – A one pot biryani to spice up your week. This is the perfect and delicious classic biryani from the northern parts of Kerala.
Thalassery ( Malabar) Chicken Biriyani
Author: Nish Kitchen
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
Cuisine: Indian, Kerala
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1" ginger
- 1 big green chilly
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 2 tsp yoghurt
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 big tomato, chopped
- 2" cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground red chillies
- 3 cups basmati rice or jeera rice
- 1 kg chicken pieces (bone in)
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 6 cups water + ⅓ cup water
- 20 cashew nuts
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 1 sprig coriander (cilantro) leaves
- Grind garlic, ginger, and green chillies to a smooth paste. Add little water to make the process easier. Marinate chicken using half of the paste, ground turmeric, 1 tsp ground red chillies, ½ tsp garam masala and salt. Keep it in the refrigerator for an hour. Then shallow fry the pieces in oil. Set aside.
- Soak 7 cashew nuts in ½ cup water. Set aside for half an hour. Then grind the nuts to a smooth paste. Set aside.
- Soak basmati rice in water for half an hour and set aside.
- Heat some oil in another pan and fry 1/4 cup sliced onions, 13 cashew nuts and raisins separately. Set aside.
- To prepare rice for the biriyani:-
- Heat ghee in a deep pan and splutter fennel seeds. Fry one medium onion until translucent. Add cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Fry again. Add 6 cups of water along with 3 cups of washed rice and enough salt. Let it come to boil. Then turn down the heat and cover the pan with a lid. Once cooked, keep it aside.
- To prepare gravy for chicken:-
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the rest of onions until golden brown. Then add remaining paste and fry for a few seconds. Throw in tomatoes, the rest of the spices ( ground coriander, ground red chillies, ground black pepper, garam masala), enough salt and cashew nut paste. Fry again for 3-4 minutes. Add chicken pieces along with ⅓ cup water. Finally, add 2 tsp yoghurt and 1 tsp vinegar. Cook again for a couple of minutes.
- To arrange the layers :-
- Take a deep bowl and place a layer of chicken. Then add a layer of rice. Use chicken and rice alternatively until finished. But make sure the top layer is rice.
- Now you can garnish biriyani with fried cashewnuts, raisins, onions and chopped coriander leaves.
Place the prepared biriyani in a preheated oven ( 180 degree celsius) for 10 - 15 minutes to make it more tastier.