This tawa chicken is for all those who love a speedy chicken curry idea. Dinner sorted in just under 30 minutes!
A few years ago, one of my friends introduced me to the craziest way to cook chicken curry. Ok, may be not the “craziest” way. But, I should say, it was the easiest method I’ve ever tried in my entire life.
And this one recipe changed all my views about making a good curry. I learned and appreciated the fact that a simple change in the order you add ingredients to the dish can, sometimes, give you astonishing results.
The flavor of this tawa chicken is fabulous and extraordinary. Having said that, I love the regular chicken curry and it’s worth the effort. But, trust me, this recipe takes way less time, and it certainly lets you throw a simple meal for a rush-hour lunch or dinner.
For some reason, I make this chicken recipe often these days. I think, with a super busy schedule, this is the right way to make your meal look out of this world without much elbow grease.
This tawa chicken recipe features shredded chicken cooked with plenty of spices. The chicken gets marinated in my favorite homemade tandoori paste (or you can use store bought paste) and cooked on stove top. Then you can shred it into bite-sized pieces, add in more spices, and you’re done!
Basically, it’s a simple chicken curry made the opposite way. You’re adding the chicken first and then the spices. This curry is lip-smacking delicious when served with rice, pulao, bread, naan, parathas, roti or even Lebanese bread (as you can see in the picture).
Did I also mention that this tawa chicken is yet another street food fo India? Now you’ve one more reason to try this awesome chicken curry at home.
Ok then, let’s start the cooking!
- 200g boneless breast or thigh) chicken, cut into big pieces
- 4 tbsp tandoori paste (homemade or store bought)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1cm ginger, sliced
- 1 large green chilli, chopped
- ¼ cup coriander (cilantro) leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate chicken with 11/2 tbsp tandoori paste in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook, turning, for 5-10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and browned. Break the chicken into small bite-sized pieces. Cook, stirring, for another 3 minutes.
- Add onions, ginger, tomatoes, green chilies and coriander (cilantro leaves). Stir in the remaining tandoori paste. Mix well. Add a little water to get a semisolid consistency. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium, and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm as a side dish for rice, parathas, naan, or Lebanese bread.
Like this tawa chicken? Check out other Chicken recipes here.