Sushi Sandwich – Turn your favorite sandwich into a sushi with this simple yet amazing idea. Serve with afternoon tea, and just pop in your kids’ lunchboxes.
I love sandwiches. I mean, who doesn’t? I eat them every week and nearly every day. Sandwiches are my all-time favorite and easy peasy lunch idea.
Well, whenever I’m tired of eating sandwiches, I roll them up to form the shape of sushi to make sushi sandwich . In fact, this is a super fun idea you can try with any kind of sandwiches. On one hand, it’s super simple and easy. On the other hand, it adds an extra special touch to a regular sandwich.
To be honest, I was in total dilemma while choosing the right filling for the sushi. But, finally, I decided to do a savory and a sweet filling idea. Both are super simple ideas that you can do in a jiffy.
When I was brainstorming for filling ideas the other day, I wanted to stick to easier and faster recipes.
First, the savory sushi sandwich . Apart from being savory, I also wanted to make these as healthy as possible. So the idea of adding mint chutney sounded really awesome. And I think this is the easiest chutney you can make on any day. Fresh mint leaves, coriander (cilantro) leaves, ginger, garlic and a splash of lemon. You just blend everything to a smooth spreadable paste. Done! Now, we have mint chutney on one side of the sushi, and I added some smoked turkey on the other side of the sushi. Perfect!
Next up, the sweet sushi sandwich . My favorite combo – cream cheese and strawberry jam – goes into this sushi. Cream cheese on one slice and jam on the other side. Cheesy, sweet and so good!
If you’re looking for some extra fun filling ideas, check out these:
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Cream cheese and raw veggies (grated or cut into thin sticks)
- Nutella and banana
- Mayonnaise and tuna
Aside from the fillings, the main part of this sandwich that makes it so cute and special is the art of rolling the sushi perfectly. I used two slices of bread to make each roll. Once filled, cut the rolls into bite-sized sushis. Obviously, this is the most interesting and creative part of making these rolls.
Without a doubt, there’s some extra fun in creating these sushis. Don’t you agree?
- 8 bread slices
- 2 slices of smoked turkey
- 4 tbsp cream cheese
- 4 tbsp strawberry jam
- ½ cup coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 sprigs mint leaves
- ¼ tsp minced garlic (garlic paste)
- ¼ tsp minced ginger (ginger paste)
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Remove crusts from the bread slices. Roll out the slices very thin. Take two slices and overlap them on the edges. Roll it out again. Repeat with the remaining bread slices. Set aside.
- Place all the ingredients for mint chutney in the small bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Set aside.
- To make the savory sushi sandwich, spread one side of the rolled out bread with mint chutney. Place a slice of turkey on the other side. Roll to form a cylindrical shape. Cut into 3 equal cylinders. Repeat with the other rolled out bread slice.
- To make sweet sushi sandwich, spread 2 tbsp cream cheese on one end of the rolled out bread and 2 tbsp jam on the other side of the bread. Roll to form a cylindrical shape. Cut into 3 equal cylinders. Repeat with the other rolled out bread.
Like this sushi sandwich recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Also, check out:
- Pizza Sandwich
- Bombay Sandwich
- Avocado Tandoori Chicken Sandwich
- Easy Homemade Garlic Bread
- Bread Pizza