Stuffed Cheesy Breadsticks – Brighten up your entertaining with easy, cheesy, stuffed breadsticks! Both the bread and stuffing are highly flavored with garlic butter, Italian seasoning and mozzarella making these the perfect appetizers to kick start your next gathering. These taste great served on its own, or dip in your favorite marinara or tomato sauce to make them seriously tasty.
Well, this recipe is actually inspired by a dish I enjoyed during an overseas trip. I happened to come across this awesome stuffed bread which totally looked very similar to a calzone. Every single bite of this bread was bursting with flavor – both the dough and the stuffing. It’s impossible to say which one tasted better – bread or stuffing. It seemed like every part of this dish is competing with each other to bring you a taste sensation like no other.
So, I’m really excited to share with you all the tiny details, I mean flavors, that make these stuffed cheesy breadsticks super awesome. Garlic butter flavored with basil, Italian seasoning, mozzarella – this is such a killer recipe.
Honestly, there’s a lot to talk about this recipe. Let’s start with the dough.
First, you’ll need to ferment the yeast with a little sugar and water. If you ask about the best kind of yeast for these cheesy breadsticks, active dried yeast is the perfect choice. Now, the dough is pretty simple. But, we’re going to make it super flavorful with some additional ingredients like garlic, butter and Italian seasoning. I minced the garlic so it’ll incorporate into the dough really well. Melted butter adds oodles of flavor. No doubt! And Italian seasoning. Well, this is the best way to flavor this dough. Trust me.
The fermented yeast goes into the flour along with all the flavorful ingredients I mentioned above. Now knead the flour to form soft dough. Leave to rest until it doubles in size. Once the dough is well risen, it needs more kneading for few more minutes. Then flatten into an oval shape using your hands.
Now we’re going to brush the flattened dough generously with garlic butter mixture (garlic + butter + herbs). Sounds delicious, right? I used basil to make my garlic butter. If you don’t like basil, choose your favorite herb.
We’ll top the bread with corn, chilies and plenty of mozzarella. Veggies are a must in this garlic breadsticks recipe. Just add your favorite.
Lastly, seal the bread, brush the top with more garlic butter mixture, sprinkle some Italian seasoning, and the bread goes straight into the oven.
I know, this recipe involves lots of steps. But don’t worry. The video (see above) will guide you through the steps.
And trust me, you’re going to love these stuffed cheesy breadsticks. This is definitely a fun way to enjoy garlic bread.
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 cup all purpose (plain) flour
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp melted butter
- 1 tsp oil
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chopped basil leaves (or your favorite herb)
- 3 tbsp corn kernels ( I used frozen)
- 2 red or green chilies, chopped (I used red)
- A pinch of Italian seasoning
- ½ cup mozzarella
- To make yeast mixture, combine together lukewarm water, yeast and sugar in a bowl. Set aside for 30 minutes or until yeast ferments.
- Meanwhile, place flour, garlic, butter and Italian seasoning in a large bowl. Make a well in the center, and pour in the yeast mixture. Using a spoon or whisk, bring the dough together. Knead for 5 minutes to make soft dough. Smear oil on top. Cover with plastic wrap or tight lid. Place dough in a warm spot for 2 hours, and allow it to double in size.
- When dough is ready, punch it down, and turn it onto a floured surface. Knead again for another 2 minutes. Using your hands, flatten and shape the dough into an oval shape. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F.
- To make garlic butter mixture, combine together melted butter, minced garlic and herbs in a small bowl.
- Brush this garlic butter mixture onto one side of the flattened dough. Top one half of the dough with corn kernels, chilies, Italian seasoning and mozzarella. Fold the other half over the toppings, and apply a little water around the edges to seal it.
- Transfer bread sticks to a lined baking tray.
- Brush the top of dough with more garlic butter. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Make horizontal slits on the dough, approximately 2cm apart from each other. Don't cut all the way through.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cut the stuffed bread into sticks. Serve warm.
-You can also turn this bread into a meat lovers' delight with ham, or pepperoni
-Add more or less chili depending on your taste. You can also add chili flakes. -Chilies can be substituted with jalapeños if you like.
-If Italian seasoning is not available, add dried oregano or thyme
-If you don't have enough time to make the dough from scratch, you can use store bought bread dough in this recipe
Like this stuffed cheesy breadsticks recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Also, check out: