This spicy grilled fish is the perfect way to enjoy grilled fish. The tangy onion salad is a good complement to the subtly spiced fish.
A few weeks ago, I received an email from one of my readers requesting for an Indian style grilled or baked whole fish recipe. Moments later, I found myself looking through my recipe book for a grilled fish recipe that I tried long time ago. It was so good and the whole family loved it. But to my utter disappointment, I didn’t save my recipe anywhere. Thankfully, it was easy to recreate with a little guidance from my taste buds.
So on my last trip to the fish shop, I bought a whole pomfret, which I thought would be perfect for my grilling recipe. This recipe is for one large pomfret. You can choose your favorite fish, but opt for a small one rather than bigger fish. The smaller ones will be more flavorful and taste much better.
To prepare the fish for grilling, I cut plenty of slits on the fish. This will ensure the fish will absorb all the flavors in the marinade making it super delicious.
To add some extra flavor, I also placed a few lemon slices inside the fish.
I would recommend marinating this fish overnight to build the flavors. There are no elaborate steps involved in the recipe; it’s just simple and straightforward. Marinating a day ahead makes the whole process much easier.
I hope this video all about marinating this fish will be really useful.
When fish is ready, preheat your grill and grill to perfection. I also made a simple onion salad or challas to go with the fish. That’s it! A simple grilled fish recipe with a wow factor!
To make this spicy grilled fish, first, crush green chili, coriander (cilantro) leaves and ginger in a mortar and pestle.
Add this paste to turmeric, cumin, red chili powder, oil, lemon juice and enough salt. Mix well.
Now clean the fish and cut slits on it. Place the lemon slices inside the fish and garlic slices in the slits.
Rub the marinade onto the fish. Grill for 20-25 minutes. Enjoy!
- 1 kg whole fish, cleaned
- 3 lemon slices
- 3-4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 sprigs of coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 2 cm ginger
- 1 large green chili
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp oil
- Cut slits on both sides of the fish 2cm apart. Set aside.
- To make the marinade, place coriander (cilantro) leaves, ginger and green chili in a mortar and pestle. Make a coarse paste. Combine together coriander paste, ground turmeric, ground cumin, black pepper, red chilli powder, oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with salt.
- To marinate the fish, place the lemon slices inside the fish. Place the garlic cloves in the slits. Rub the marinade onto the fish. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours.
- When fish is ready, preheat the grill. Place the fish on the grill, and cook for 20 minutes. When one side is done, flip over to cook the other side.
- Serve with onion salad or challas.