Penne arrabiata – Celebrate the flavors of Italy with this classic arrabiata sauce. A super simple recipe to create a delicious, home-cooked meal for your family without compromising on taste. Quick, easy, and unbelievably delicious!
When I plan weeknight meals, I always look for quick and easy recipes that are also jam-packed with flavor. To be exact, you are looking for delicious food guaranteed to impress the whole family. You might want a recipe that’s nutritious as well as delicious. And most of all, it must look beautiful too. You know, all those small garnishy things that make food look pretty like herbs, cheese etc adds an extra layer of awesomeness.
This penne arrabiata, a classic Italian pasta recipe, is a game changer. It ticks all the right boxes for a satisfying weeknight meal. Best of all, you can totally customise this with the addition of your favorite protein and veggies.
In Italian, arrabiata means ‘angry’. So this pasta is all about the fiery spicy flavor of chilies. And in this recipe, it comes in the form of dried red chili flakes. Feel free to add as much chili flakes as you like depending on your taste.
The base of this penne arrabiata is, of course, the spicy and vibrant arrabiata sauce. To make everything super easy for you, I used canned diced tomatoes in the sauce. You know, canned tomatoes definitely give this pasta that vibrant red color. Oh, how much I love colorful food especially when it’s not artificial.
Again, if you’re not a fan of canned tomatoes, go with the fresh ones. However, canned ones are highly recommended in this recipe as they’ll give you a richer sauce and beautiful red color. Once the base sauce is cooked, all that you need to do is slather the cooked pasta in the sauce.
For the garnish, I tried out a classic Italian style called pangrattato which is made of toasted fresh breadcrumbs. I must say, it’s absolutely delicious and adds a crunch factor.
Simple ingredients come together to create a stunner! Perfect way to enjoy a busy day dinner!
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 bread slices, crusts removed
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 200 g canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried red chili flakes
- 2 tbsp chopped basil leaves
- 250 g penne (or any pasta of your choice)
- Place pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook pasta according to the packet directions or until al dente. Drain. Set aside.
- Tear the bread slices, place them in blender, and give it a quick whizz to make coarse breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- To make pangrattato, heat oil in a large frying pan over low heat. Add breadcrumbs. Season with salt. Sauté, stirring continuously, until golden brown. Remove breadcrumbs from the pan.
- To make penne arrabiata, add 2 tbsp oil to the same pan. Increase the heat to medium- high. Add garlic, and saute for a minute or until aromatic. Add tomatoes and dried red chili flakes. Season with salt. Stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in basil leaves. Heat through. Add cooked pasta. Heat through.
- Garnish with pangrattato and chopped basil leaves.
- Add parmesan to the sauce to make it rich
- You can add pancetta, bacon or even diced rotisserie chicken to the sauce
Like this penne arrabiata recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Also, check out:
- Butter Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Tomato Tuna Pasta
- Creamy Pasta Without Cream
- Creamy Mushroom Fettuccine
- Masala Pasta