Masala Omelette – Put a fun spin on Indian style omelette and turn them into a delicious roll. This makes for a fabulous brekkie, or cut them into bite-sized rolls for a terrific appetizer. Moreover, it’s guaranteed to impress even the fussiest eaters in the family.
Breakfast in my family is not a big affair unless it’s a very special occasion. Most of my mornings are like the peak hour traffic where everyone is just rushing to reach their destinations. Despite the hurry-burry in the mornings, I try to whip up a nutritious breakfast for my family. And this is where quick and easy breakfast ideas come in.
Omelette is, undeniably, one of the easy to make brekkie on the planet. This masala omelette is the Indian version of this much-loved brekkie and is a popular street food in India. I just turned it into a big roll and then cut it into bite-sized pieces. This simple technique is going to turn your humble omelette into a masterpiece. To be honest, I’m obsessed with this omelette roll right now.
So what really is this masala omelette roll? It’s a simple omelette with a spice kick. Loaded with onions, green chilies, coriander (cilantro) leaves, ginger, turmeric and garam masala, it’s a nutritious addition to your breakfast.
Usually, masala omelette is made just like any other regular omelette. Whisk eggs with other ingredients, pour the mixture into a lightly oiled pan and fry until golden. This is obviously the simplest way of making masala omelette.
However, if you want to go a bit fancier, try making them into rolls. The whole process may sound tricky, but let me assure you, it’s much easier than you think. The basic recipe stays the same, the only difference is in the technique. The egg mixture is cooked in three different stages to make perfect rolls. Check out the video to learn how to make these masala omelette rolls!
Although I stick to the basic version on busy days, sometimes I also add finely chopped or grated vegetables like carrots, bell peppers (capsicums), and spring onions. Clearly, a great way to hide veggies if you have picky eaters at home.
Few tips to make the perfect roll – Do not overcook the omelette. Otherwise the omelette will break as you roll it. Again, place it over a very low flame and cover with a lid to ensure eggs are cooked through.
Now what are you waiting for? Go, make it, and let me know what you think!
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 1 tbsp coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1 tsp chopped green chilies
- 1 tbsp grated carrot
- ¼ tsp grated ginger
- A pinch of ground turmeric (turmeric powder)
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil or oil spray
- Crack all the eggs into a large bow. Pour in the milk. Season with salt. Whisk. Add turmeric and garam masala. Whisk again. Add onions, coriander (cilantro) leaves, green chilies, carrot, and ginger into the egg mixture. Whisk again until just combined. Set aside.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat. Lightly spray with oil. Reduce heat to low. Pour half of the egg mixture into the pan. Cook, covered, until set. Roll from one side, and move the roll to the center of the pan. Pour in half of the remaining mixture. Cook again, covered, until set. Roll again and move the roll to the center of the pan. Pour in the rest of the egg mixture. Coo, covered, until set. Roll completely. Remove from heat. Cut into bite-sized pieces and serve.
Like this masala omelette rolls? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram. Also, check out:
- Banana Oat Pancakes
- Bell Pepper Egg-in-a-hole
- Basic Pancakes
- Layered Oatmeal Cherry Smoothie
- Zucchini Banana Bread