Layered Oatmeal Cherry Smoothie – A healthy, refreshing start to the New Year.
Happy New Year everyone! Hope you all had a fantastic, joyful and exciting start to 2016.
I love cooking with seasonal ingredients. I just can’t say no to the wonderful produce that nature brings each and every season.
I always think of cherries as beautiful fruits that make summer and Christmas all the more special. What am I talking about? Summer. Christmas. We are in the middle of summer in Australia right now. So we celebrate Christmas in summer.
As summer and Christmas come together, cherries are a crucial part of all holiday recipes, especially desserts.
Look at that bunch of sweet, juicy cherries!
In summer, I love to start my day with this healthy and filling oatmeal cherry smoothie.
The layered look is obviously the highlight of this smoothie. I thought making a layered smoothie will make this recipe more interesting.
While oatmeal makes the bottom layer, cherries impart a vibrant shade to the upper layer. And together, they make a thirst-quenching, delicious way to enjoy cherries.
Here are the instructions to make this layered oatmeal cherry smoothie.
- First, we’ll make the oatmeal part of the smoothie which forms the first layer. To make this first layer, place oatmeal, 3/4 cup milk and few drops of vanilla extract in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour this into two serving glasses.
- Now the second layer. Place pitted cherries, 1 cup milk and a few drops of vanilla extract in the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour this to the oatmeal layer, but use a spoon so it will stay as layer on top of first layer. Serve immediately.
- ¼ cup rolled (traditional) oats
- 1¾ cup milk
- 1 cup pitted fresh (or frozen) cherries
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- Place oats, ¾ cup milk and few drops of vanilla extract in a blender. Blend until smooth. Divide equally among two serving glasses.
- Place cherries, 1 cup milk and few drops of vanilla extract in the blender. Blend until smooth. Place a spoon in the glass as shown in the picture. Gently pour the cherry mixture over the spoon to make the second layer.
- Serve immediately.
-For a dairy free or vegan version of this recipe, use almond milk.
-I used fresh cherries to make this smoothie. You can substitute with frozen or canned cherries, if they are not in season.
-Substitute cherries with berries, or any other seasonal fruit to create different flavors.
-You can also use two different fruits for the layers. For example, how about mangoes for the first layer and berries for the second layer.