Indian ginger chicken- This Indo-Chinese style chicken makes a perfect side dish for a hearty weeknight meal. The rich and bold flavor of fresh ginger will have you coming back for more. This recipe is a lifesaver on busy weeknights!
Chicken is one of the most commonly used ingredient in my kitchen. I love how versatile it is! From simple stir fries to extraordinary casseroles, it turns every dish into lip-smacking meal. A wonderful ingredient that goes really well with any kind of flavor combination!
Honestly, chicken cooked in Indo-Chinese style sauce is always an amazing combo. If you love such recipes, you can find a collection of Indo-Chinese recipes here.
In my home, quick meals and side dishes are reserved for busy weeknights. Don’t you think it’s the best way to end a very hectic day? A simple chicken curry always go hand in hand with weeknights, and this recipe is an Indo-Chinese version of the traditional curry.
Spiked with the flavor of fresh ginger, this Indian ginger chicken is loaded with all the best parts of a fabulous Indian curry like onions, green chilies and garlic. This curry gets its Indo-Chinese touch from soy sauce and white vinegar. Most of all, this curry comes together in just 30 minutes.
And I’ll show you how.
Now, say hello to one of the best chicken curry recipes on the planet, Indian ginger chicken. Believe me, this is totally awesome!
Obviously, this recipe is all about the addicting flavors of fresh ginger, so you’ll need to love ginger to enjoy this curry to the fullest.
Alright, now the recipe.
First, the chicken pieces are marinated with minced ginger, minced garlic, lemon juice and salt for about 10 minutes. With chicken, use boneless chicken thigh, which I think is ideal for this recipe. If you like chicken with bone, don’t hesitate to use it.
Second, brown onions along with green chilies and fresh ginger in hot oil. You see, this ginger chicken is all about ginger. So, we are adding ginger in two different stages and in two different forms.
Chicken goes in next and sautéed until it gets a light brown color. Now the Indo-Chinese part of the recipe- soy sauce and white vinegar. The soy sauce gives the curry a dark color. Moreover, the flavor of combination is totally incredible. When the chicken is half cooked, spring onions goes in. The cooking process is continued until the chicken is tender and cooked through. Done!
I’m totally thinking about this Indian ginger chicken for dinner tonight. It’s absolutely delicious!!
- 500g boneless chicken, cut into cubes (I used thigh fillets)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger (ginger paste)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (garlic paste)
- Juice from half of one lemon
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp green chili sauce (optional)
- ½ cup chopped spring onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spring onions or coriander (cilantro) leaves, to garnish
- Place chicken in a bowl. Add minced ginger, minced garlic and lemon juice. Season with salt. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions, green chilies and ginger. Saute for 2-3 minutes or until onions are lightly browned. Add chicken. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add vinegar, soy sauce and green chili sauce (if using). Saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add spring onions. Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Season with pepper and heat through. Garnish with more spring onions or coriander (cilantro) leaves.
- Serve with rice, noodles, roti or pasta.
Like this Indian ginger chicken? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube or Instagram. Also, check out other Indo-Chinese recipes: