Healthy homemade granola made from scratch to make your breakfast the healthiest meal of the day. Take healthy ingredients like oats and seeds, and add a little magic to turn them into highly nutritious breakfast that’ll last for week.
Hey friends, how was your weekend? Hope you all had a wonderful time with your family and friends. Well, my weekend ended on a very sad note with my phone, the phone screen to be exact, shattering into pieces. Luckily, the phone is still working, but you know, as I do most of my blog work on my phone, everything is at a slow pace now. Currently, I’m waiting for my new screen skit to arrive.
And as the holiday season is fast approaching, I’m trying to include as much healthy food as possible before I can indulge in the holiday treats. Well, you see, I’m kind of preplanning which I think is an amazing idea. I don’t want to miss out on any of the delicious food waiting for me.
Right now, I’m thinking all about this super healthy homemade granola. Rolled oats combined together with other super healthy ingredients to bring you the perfect breakfast recipe that tastes out of this world.
The base of this homemade granola recipe is rolled or traditional oats. Make sure you get the right kind of oats as quick cooking oats is not the right way to go. Just add in your favorite ingredients to oats and then bake to golden perfection. Super simple recipe, right?
I like my granola a bit sweet, so I added about 1/4 cup pure maple syrup to it. Sub with honey or agave nectar if you like. And a bit of cinnamon and a pinch of salt will add an extra special touch to this homemade granola.
Ok now, let’s start prepping this healthy homemade granola. You’ll need to combine oats, nuts, cinnamon and salt together in a large bowl. Make sure the nuts you add are raw. Apart from nuts, you can also add seeds like sunflower seeds and pepitas to your granola recipe. With the spice, go with your favorite- cinnamon, ground cardamom or pumpkin spice.
Now in another bowl, mix together oil (or butter), and the sweetener (maple syrup in this case). Add this wet mixture to the dry mixture. Now spread it on a baking tray. When golden, remove from oven.
Once cooled, you can add in choc chips and dried fruits if you like. If you want to add coconut slices, add them halfway through the cooking process.
And there you go. Amazingly healthy homemade granola that’ll last for a week. All you need to do is top it with your favorite flavored or unflavored yogurt or milk, and lots of fruits. Even chia seeds make a perfectly healthy addition to this granola. Enjoy a healthy breakfast every morning!
- 2 cups traditional or rolled oats
- 1 cup mixed nuts (and / or seeds)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon (or ground cardamom or pumpkin spice)
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ cup olive or canola oil (or melted butter)
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or honey or agave nectar)
- ½ cup raisins
- ¼ cup choc chips
- Preheat oven to 180C or 350F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine together oats, nuts, ground cinnamon and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine together oil and sweetener (maple syrup). Pour it into the oats mixture. Stir until the dry ingredients are coated well in the wet mixture.
- Spread this mixture in the baking tray in a single, even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Stir halfway through baking.
- Once cooled, add dried fruits and choc chips. Store in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks, or freeze for about 3 months.
Like this healthy homemade granola recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube.