Easy vanilla cake – Add a little bit of magic to your favorite vanilla cake to make it super easy, moist and so delicious. Create this elegant centerpiece for this holiday season, and wow your family and friends! A touch of colorful sprinkles really make this cake pop!
Christmas is just a week away. Yayyy!! Super excited! Apart from Christmas, there’s something else that makes this time of the year extra special for me. I celebrate my birthday during this holiday season. So, for me, this is ‘twice the fun’ time.
I don’t usually bake my own birthday cakes. But, this year, I really want to share with you this super simple, easy-to-throw together vanilla cake with basic whipped cream frosting.
Woohoo!! Let’s bake this super easy vanilla cake. In other words, one of the simplest cakes ever.
All you need to make this cake are a few basic ingredients from your pantry. Flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, eggs, vanilla, yogurt, milk and oil. I highly recommend sifting all the dry ingredients to remove all the lumps. This will ensure you get a very smooth batter which in turn is the secret behind an evenly cooked cake. You don’t want huge lumps of flour in your cake, right?
Basic all-purpose or plain flour is the kind of flour used in cakes. But these days, you can find a much healthier unbleached version of this flour. I think using unbleached flour is a fabulous idea, and it’s a simple way to make this cake as healthy as possible. Again, oil used in this recipe is yet another healthy addition to the cake.
Now, let’s make the batter. You’ll need 2 large bowls. All the dry ingredients goes into one bowl, and all the wet ingredients goes into the second one. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Use a hand mixer to break up all the lumps and make smooth batter. Ideally, it should have a pouring consistency, but not too thin. Thick batter with pouring consistency will be just right.
Remember we are going to make a three layer cake. So you’ll need 3 cake pans. If you have only one pan, bake first layer, remove the cake from pan, and repeat. No washing up needed in between the batches.
Once the cakes are cooled , you are going to fill the layers with whipped cream, and then cover the entire cake with cream. As soon as you do that, transfer the cake to the refrigerator, and this is how you’ll get the lovely patterns that you see on the cake. Once the cream is set, decorate the cake anyway you like. I added some extra piping on top of the cake, and some sprinkles for a wow factor.
Honestly, this super easy vanilla cake is super moist and simply addicting. Why not give it a try to celebrate these holidays?
- 2½ cups all purpose (plain) flour
- 2 cups granulated (caster) sugar
- 2tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 600 ml heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C / 375F.
- Grease 3, 22cm (9 inch) cake tins and line with parchment (baking) paper. Set aside.
- Sift all the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt- into a bowl. Set aside. Place eggs, yogurt, milk, oil and vanilla extract in another bowl. Whisk until combined. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat over low speed for 1 minute or until combined.
- Divide the mixture equally (approximately 1½ cups of batter) among the three cake pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes to cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Tip them onto a wire rack to cool further.
- Place cream, icing sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, whisk for 2-3 minutes or until soft peaks form. Refrigerate until used.
- Place one cake on cake plate. Spread with whipped cream. Place the second cake on top and spread with more whipped cream. Place the third layer of cake, and spread with more whipped cream. Cover the top and sides of the cake with more whipped cream. Decorate the cake with sprinkles.
- You can also use vanilla buttercream frosting instead of whipped cream
Like this super easy vanilla cake recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Also, check out:
- Christmas Fruit Cake
- 5 Minute Microwave Chocolate Cake
- Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting