Easy chickpea burgers – There’s nothing better than a super delicious burger that’s also extra healthy. Loaded with mouth-watering chickpea patty, low fat mayonnaise, sliced tomatoes and shredded lettuce, these burgers make a quick and easy dinner or lunch for any day of the week.
Chickpea loaded meals is one of my favorite ways to add more protein to my diet. I’m not sure why, I really love delicious dishes made with this legume, especially on days I want to go meat-free.
And again, I always love the idea of turning humble ingredients into a fancy meal. Yes, let’s talk about the simple chickpeas turned into an amazing burger. So simple but so good. To be exact, a vegetarian stunner to adorn your dinner table every weeknight. I mean, the whole family will love it with zero negative remarks. Brilliant!
With this chickpea burger, I wanted to keep the ingredients, and the entire process of cooking as simple as possible. So I decided to use canned chickpeas which literally reduces the cooking time of the recipe. Having said that, dried chickpeas soaked overnight and then cooked to perfection is totally acceptable in this recipe.
Mashed chickpeas is combined with chopped onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, chili powder and egg. For these burgers, we are going to make big chunky chickpea patties that are shallow fried on the stovetop. Super simple, but delicious from every angle.
My most favorite part of any burger is the sauce that gives the ultimate taste touch to the patty. You know, we are all about simple things in these chickpea burgers recipe. So, I think simple store bought mayonnaise is the way to go. The slightly tangy mayonnaise pairs really well the spicy chickpea patties.
Lastly, add a couple of lettuce leaves and tomato slices. Layer everything in a buttery, toasted hamburger bun, and you have the perfect meal.
These chickpea burgers is such a great way to enjoy a simple meal – so perfect and delicious!
- 2 x 400 g canned chickpeas
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp ground coriander (coriander powder)
- ½ tsp ground cumin (cumin powder)
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp chopped mint leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese (or your favorite)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 10 tomato slices (2 for each burger)
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Place chickpeas in a bowl, and mash lightly. Add breadcrumbs, onions, garlic, egg, ground cumin, ground coriander, red chili powder and mint or coriander (cilantro) leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Mix. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 4 thick patties.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook the patties 3-4 minutes on each side. Place one slice of cheese on top of each patty. Cover with a lid, and wait until the cheese starts to melt. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, smear a little butter onto the cut sides of the burger buns. Place them on the pan with the cut sides down. Toast. Remove from heat.
- To assemble the burger, top the bun bases with chickpea patties, 2 tbsp mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes. Spread more mayonnaise on the top bun, place it on the burger.
- Serve warm.
Like these chickpea burgers? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Also, check out other chickpea recipes: