Creamy pasta sauce without cream – Learn how to make the best creamy sauce without fresh cream. Customize this pasta with your favorite veggies, chicken or even tofu. Clearly, cooking from scratch is much easier than it seems.
I’ve plenty of recipes for creamy pasta in my repertoire. But if I don’t have any fresh cream in the refrigerator and don’t want to run to the grocery store, this is my perfect recipe to create the best creamy sauce.
Every ingredient in this recipe complements each other really well. That’s what makes this pasta sauce recipe all the more delicious. The whole mantra is to get the flavors right so you’ll be digging into incredibly delicious pasta that’s also super easy to make.
And so quick! This creamy sauce recipe will be ready in just under 15 minutes. Again, we’re going to make it from scratch. That means, lots of ingredients coming together to create one amazingly delicious creamy pasta sauce without cream. But don’t worry. All the ingredients used in this recipe are just pantry staples.
I’ve used a good amount of butter in this recipe. Don’t skimp as butter is so important to flavor up the whole dish. The “must” addition to a simple pasta dish, garlic, is also a vital ingredient in this recipe. Let the chopped garlic cook in the hot butter for a while so it will release all the beautiful garlicky flavors.
Now, we do need an ingredient to thicken up the sauce. You see, we’re not adding any cream to this pasta dish which actually makes the sauce really thick. So, our secret element here is all purpose (plain) flour. Fry it up in hot butter for a while making sure the flour doesn’t burn. At this stage, you can also turn down the heat if the pan is too hot.
The one ingredient in this creamy pasta sauce without cream recipe that makes it creamy is milk. I highly recommend using full fat milk which adds to the creaminess of the whole sauce. Let the sauce simmer, and all the ingredients come together to make silky smooth creamy sauce.
Ok, wait. We’ve a few more ingredients to add to the sauce. But we’ll add them along with pasta. Now, pasta, parmesan cheese and basil go into the thick sauce. You see, basil is one of my favorite herbs for pasta. And the type of herb you can use totally depends on your choice. Fresh parsley, oregano, and dried Italian seasoning are a few options. That’s it. Our incredible creamy pasta sauce without cream is simmering on the stove.
Isn’t that a super cool recipe? Quick, easy, and totally a no-brainer. Turn this into a full meal with loads of veggies (mushrooms, spinach, cherry tomatoes, broccoli), tofu, or rotisserie chicken.
- 500 g your favorite pasta (I used spaghetti)
- 50 g butter
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp all-purpose (plain) flour
- 1½ cups milk (full fat preferred)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper (black pepper powder)
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped basil leaves
- Salt to taste
- Fill a large saucepan with water, season with salt, and bring it to a rolling boil. Cook pasta for 8-10 minutes or until al dente ( just cooked). Drain. Set aside. Alternatively, follow the package directions to cook the pasta.
- Meanwhile, add butter to a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute or until they soften. Add flour, and cook until the raw smell disappears. Add milk and pepper powder. Stir. Season with salt. Bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Add cooked pasta, parmesan and chopped basil. Stir. Heat through. Sprinkle dried red chili flakes on top if you like. Garnish with more basil leaves.
Like this creamy pasta sauce without cream recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube. Also, check out: