How does a perfectly crisp gluten free pizza topped with chicken and veggies aka chicken pizza dosa sound? I bet this pizza will be one of the best Indian fusion recipes you’ve ever come across in the culinary world.
Usually, I prefer to whip up speedy meals in the kitchen. I always believe that you could create fabulous meals with a little forethought and zero effort. Just look at this pizza made with leftover dosa or idli batter! A great way to turn your next meal into a stunner even on the busiest weeks!
Pizza is often the magical word used to turn boring meals to highly irresistible cheesy awesomeness. This chicken pizza dosa is packed with flavor, and makes it perfect for breakfast, or even lunch and dinner.
Apart from the dosa batter which forms the base, the key elements of this dish are your favorite toppings including cheese. As a bonus, you can replace chicken with fish or prawns if you like. Or more veggies, if you want to keep it vegetarian.
Before you start making the dosa base, remember to cook the chicken separately. Marinate chicken pieces with ground turmeric, ground coriander, red chili powder, garam masala, ginger, garlic, 1 tbsp oil and enough salt. As I really love a spice kick, I’ve made them spicy. Then fry it in a pan over medium heat until cooked through. When done, shred into small pieces and set aside.
As I said, I made the base of this chicken pizza dosa with leftover dosa batter. You’ll only need around 1/4 cup batter for each pizza. Pour the batter in the center of the heated pan. Then spread it thinly just like for dosa. I didn’t spread the sides as I wanted to keep it raised like the regular pizza. That way you get that classic pizza base shape.
Now, the toppings. Spread the tomato paste on the base first. Then juicy chicken. Extra cheesy mozzarella. Vibrant capsicums, tomatoes, red onions and olives. Lots and lots of veggies to be exact.
Cover pizza dosa with a lid, and cook over medium – low heat until the veggies are soft and tender. What I love about this recipe is that you won’t even miss the meat if you keep it vegetarian.
Vegetarian or non vegetarian version – give it a go. Well, how often do you come across a recipe that make you feel totally guilt free? This chicken pizza dosa is so perfectly balanced hitting all the right flavor notes minus all the calories of a regular pizza.
- 200 g boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ - 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper (capsicum)
- 1 small red bell pepper (capsicum)
- 7-10 black olives, pitted
- 1 cup mozzarella or any cheese of your choice
- Place ground turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala, red chili powder, minced garlic, minced ginger, enough salt and 1 tbsp oil in a small bowl. Combine together to form smooth paste. Rub the paste onto the chicken. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- To cook chicken: Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook until all the sides are browned or the chicken is no longer pink inside. When done, shred chicken into small pieces. Set aside.
- To make dosa pizza: Heat a tawa over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add ⅓ cup batter to the center of the pan. Use a spoon or ladle to spread it as thin as possible, leaving the sides raised like a regular pizza.
- When the pizza starts to cook, reduce the heat to medium-low. Spread a teaspoon of tomato paste on it. Arrange shredded chicken on top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Add the vegetables on top. Sprinkle with more cheese.
- Cover the pizza dosa with a lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the veggies are soft and tender. Continue with rest of the batter and toppings until used up.
- Serve as breakfast, snack, lunch or dinner.