An upgraded version of cheese chilli toast combining the flavors of garlic butter, cheese and green chillies. It’s the best way to start a meal, or enjoy as a snack fresh out of the oven.
Whenever I think of a good toast, the very first thing that comes to my mind is the wonderful aroma of freshly baked bread that we used to buy from the local bakery in my hometown in India. Warm bread loaves were covered in newspaper to keep them fresh. Even though white bread was the only option those days, the freshness of the loaves literally captivated my tastebuds.
It wasn’t until I left home and moved to Australia that bread mostly in the form of toast became an indispensable part of my breakfast routine. They were always the quickest and easiest brekkie idea on any day. Moreover, I was also introduced to so many different kinds of breads from regular white to artisan breads.
These cheese chilli toast sticks are inspired by the popular Indian street food – the cheese chilli toast loaded with green chillis and cheese. I always have green chillies on hand, so this recipe is obviously my go-to idea for a quick snack or breakfast.
Last week, while shopping, I grabbed a French loaf and a packet of shredded Mozzarella. I had simple bread sticks on my mind that day, but later decided to make these cheese chilli toast sticks. Toast with a generous dose of butter, garlic, chillies, and cheese. Well, this is the kind of food I’m craving right now.
On one hand, these toast sticks are pretty simple to make, but on the other hand, these are bursting with flavors. Garlic, butter, cheese and a touch of chilli. You really can’t beat them.
Since garlic bread is one of my all-time favorites, I couldn’t stop myself from adding these lovely flavors to the toast sticks. No wonder these turned out to be so good. I brushed the French bread with a butter-garlic mixture, then topped them with plenty of green chillies and grated cheese. These toast sticks are toasted in the oven in two different stages. The end result is crunchy toast oozing with deliciousness.
I recommend serving these straight out of the oven to enjoy all the crunchiness. If you want to serve this as a party appetizer, the second baking can be done just before serving.
A quick tip – If you don’t like French loaf, you can use any variety you like. You can even make these sticks with regular white or multigrain bread. But remember to reduce the baking time to avoid burning.
Simple, quick and easy cheese chilli toast sticks to make your day. Why not give it a go?
- Garlic Butter:
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (garlic paste)
- Toast Sticks:
- 1 French bread
- 1 large green chilli, sliced
- 3 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves, to garnish
- Garlic Butter:
- Combine together melted butter and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Chilli Cheese Toast Sticks:
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the bread in half. We need only one half of the bread in this recipe. Cut it again horizontally. Brush the cut side liberally with garlic butter. Wrap each piece of bread in aluminium foil and place in the baking tray.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove the foil. (Be careful as the bread will be super hot now).
- Arrange the green chillies in one single layer on the bread. (You can add as much green chillies as you like).
- Top with grated cheese. Add a few green chillies on top.
- Bake for another 5-10 mins or until cheese is melted and golden.
- Garnish with chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves. Cut into slices and serve hot.