Beetroot dip -Made from fresh beetroot, yogurt and spices, this beet dip is not only delicious but also packed with goodness. Plus, it’s also a vibrant addition to your holiday entertaining menu.
The much awaited official party season of the year is nearly here. At the moment, you should probably be thinking about party food, decoration ideas, and all things entertaining. Talking about party food, one important element that pops up in my mind is dips. A perfect dip is the ideal starting point for any great party.
And this beetroot dip is undoubtedly a vibrant addition to your party table. Pair it with tortilla chips, pappadums, mini bite sized naan breads, or crackers. You see, you’ll have an incredible looking platter that can even be turned into a centerpiece for your dinner table.
All you need to do is cook the beetroots, puree them along with garlic, cumin, red chilies (if you like) and then stir in yogurt. Easy peasy!
Watch beetroot dip video recipe below:
First, you’ll need to cook the beetroots. This is the only time consuming part of the recipe. Well, you can cook the beets three ways. Parboil, steam or bake. With parboiling and steaming, you’ll need to peel and chop the beetroots prior to cooking. If you want to cook beetroots like I did, just rinse them really well, trim off the ends, wrap in a foil and bake.
When the beets come out of the oven, peel and chop them into pieces. And make sure you put on your gloves to avoid coloring your hands. For me, baking is the easiest option, I just need to pop the beets in the oven, and forget all about them for 30 minutes. That said, you can cook the beets anyway you like.
Now, to the main part of this roast beetroot dip recipe. Combining all the ingredients together. You’ll need to puree the beets along with garlic and cumin. We are looking for a perfectly smooth texture here. Next up, stir in yogurt. With yogurt, add more or less depending on your taste. I mean, you don’t need to stick to the exact measurement in the recipe. The perfect balance of the flavors is what makes this dip beyond delicious.
Again, if you want to add a bit of heat to this beetroot dip, add a few dried red chilies while you’re pureeing the beetroots. Adjust the heat according to your taste.
There you go. The most delicious and vibrant veggie dip ever. Don’t you love that gorgeous color? In fact, beetroots are one of my favorite veggies just because of their vibrant color. Dip in!
- 4 medium beetroots, washed and ends trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp ground cumin (cumin powder)
- 1 cup yogurt
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Mint leaves, cashew nuts, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cover each beet separately in aluminum foil. Place on the baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- (Alternatively, you can also steam or parboil chopped beetroot)
- Once cooled, peel and cut into cubes. Place in a food processor. Add garlic cloves and ground cumin. Process to a smooth puree. Stir in yogurt. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with mint leaves and cashew nuts.
- Serve with tortilla chips, pappadums or mini naan breads.
Like this beetroot dip recipe? Then join Nish Kitchen on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram or YouTube.