This 5 minute microwave chocolate mug cake is really a fun and interesting way to make cake. It tastes just like a regular chocolate cake baked in the oven, but much easier. If you have the basic ingredients like flour, sugar, butter, egg and milk in your pantry, you can whip up this easy dessert in minutes. Topped with whipped cream, ice cream or berries, you can’t go past this simplest and most delicious treat!
I think the idea of making cakes in the microwave has been one of the best discoveries in cooking. Especially for cake lovers like me. The truth is this microwave chocolate mug cake recipe happened on a day when I was too tired to bake a cake, but was really craving for a moist, chocolate filled dessert.
If you have never made a mug cake in a microwave before, you must definitely do it now. It’s so GOOD! The best part is that you can make your favorite cake version in your microwave, that too within a few minutes. Isn’t that cool?
To make this chocolate mug cake , I decided to stick to the basic chocolate cake recipe. Flour, egg, milk, butter, cocoa powder and sugar forms the base of this “made from scratch” recipe. Mix both dry and wet ingredients separately, and then fold them together to create the basic batter. Pour this batter into a large mug, place it in the microwave, and wait for the magic to happen.
The amazing fact is that this tastes just like a regular cake baked in the oven, only smaller and made in a microwave. Basically, this is an updated version of the classic chocolate cake and so interesting.
If you go online, you’ll find dozens of variations of this microwave chocolate mug cake recipe. But this is my tried and tested version, and my humble attempt to bring you the very best recipe for this awesome dessert.
Top with a big dollop of whipped cream and strawberries to make this extra special. In short, simple, quick and easy. Try this chocolate mug cake once and you’ll be hooked.
- 4 tbsp self raising flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp melted and cooled butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Place all the dry ingredients – self raising flour, brown sugar, cocoa powder and salt - in a large bowl. Mix. Set aside.
- Break the egg into another bowl, and whisk lightly. Add in butter, milk and vanilla extract. Stir.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together to make smooth batter without any lumps.
- Pour the batter into a 500 ml mug. Microwave for 90 seconds. Top with whipped cream or ice cream if you like.
- Serve immediately.
Like this 5 minute microwave chocolate mug cake recipe? Then check out other chocolate desserts:
- Chocolate Cups
- Two Tone Chocolate Milk Peda
- Zucchini Chocolate Cake
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Quick and Easy Chocolate Milkshake
- Chocolate Oats Ladoo